DP9.02 not seeing Apple's AUNetReceive plug-in...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9.02 not seeing Apple's AUNetReceive plug-in...

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

It may be that it's normal, but it doesn't make much sense...

I want to send audio from a DP project in computer B, to a DP project in computer A, in real time, via Ethernet, so I can record B's audio into A.

I'm ALMOST there... So computer B's DP project has Apple's AUNetSend plugin last in the Master Fader, configured as a 32 bFP stream.
On the A computer, I thought I could do the same, put the AUNetReceive plugin (the counter-part of the signal loop) -somewhere in a DP track- to record the audio. But when I look for it it is NOT in the plug-ins list.
WHY NOT?

Could any of you verify if DP sees that default AUNetReceive plugin, please? Neither computer A nor B sees it here. It should be seeing the PAIR (Send AND Receive).

So I tried AudioHijack Pro on the A computer to intercept the audio. AHP DOES see the AUNetReceive plugin. So I set it up and now I can hear the audio in AHP. It's getting it perfectly from computer B through the ethernet like this. Great...

Now, the question is the easy part, how do I get this stream from AHP into DP to record it in real time??? (in the same computer, A).

I don't see a way to create a DP input from AHP...
AHP is currently set to intercept the System Audio. I think I have to do something to let DP know about AHP, but I can't figure it out :smash:
I also tried adding to the Track 16 the Built-In Audio as part of the interfaces in DP's Configure Hardware Driver settings, to no avail.

I wish I didn't need AHP and just be able to do it with the AUNet pair of plugs, but I can't figure out how... If you know, please let me know!

Either method would make me VERY happy (getting it into DP directly, or via AHP). Any suggestions?

The most frustrating thing is that I know I had done this before, but I can't remember how :roll:

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: DP9.02 not seeing Apple's AUNetReceive plug-in...

Post by FMiguelez »

Unfortunately, it is apparently normal that DP doesn't see the AUNetReceive plugin.
Some further reading indicates that it is some kind of "generator", and none of DP's tracks type will take it. A lot of other DAWs, including Live, won't see it either. Me no comprende why not...

I guess I can record AHP's output into DP via my Tascam mixer, but I'd rather not do that.

At this point I just need to figure out how to get AHP's output into a DP track, and I'm done (via software).
Ideas?
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I looked for AUNetRecieve in DP, GarageBand, and MainStage and could not find it. My only guess is that Apple doesn't support it any more? I seem to recall going down this rabbit hole years ago and not finding a solution, but I really don't remember when it ever worked.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just did a "Find any File" scan of the system, and while there are plenty of AUNetSend files, there are zero AUN Receive files. Even my system spell checker recognizes the "send" components, but not the "receive". I can only guess how it is intended to be used.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

cuttime wrote:I looked for AUNetRecieve in DP, GarageBand, and MainStage and could not find it. My only guess is that Apple doesn't support it any more? I seem to recall going down this rabbit hole years ago and not finding a solution, but I really don't remember when it ever worked.
Thank you for checking, cuttime.
That's the thing. It works perfectly with Audio Hijack Pro, but apparently THEY needed to add support to it, and almost none else does. It would have to be MOTU the one who implements it, as far as I can tell.

From their site>
https://weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2005/05/19/
AudioUnit host applications like GarageBand and Audio Hijack Pro need to be extended to support Generators, so not much supports them yet. We’ve added support for them in the latest version of our applications: Audio Hijack Pro v2.5 and Nicecast v1.7.3. Over time I’m sure more developers will begin to add support as well.
I just read in some forum of a guy who managed to connect 2 computers like that not with Bonjour, but over the internet with that little pair!

It would be REALLY nice if MOTU supported this. I mean, it WORKS with the AUNetSend, which I would think it is the hardest part of the workflow, All DP needs to do is to allow the AUNetReceive to listen to and connect to its pair. Apparently it needs a track similar to an instrument track, and it would be a "generator", whatever that means.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

FMiguelez wrote:Apparently it needs a track similar to an instrument track, and it would be a "generator", whatever that means.
I believe that would be an Instrument Track. At least it is in "GarageBand" parlance.
papageno

Post by papageno »

I needed to feed audio to DP11 from Finale (NotePerfomer playback).
I am using usually AUNetSent in Finale Master Effects section and receiving it in Plogue Bidule with AUNetReceive. That is my standard setup.
Now that I needed to sync Finale to a DP Movie window (with MTC), I also tried to get AUNetReceive running in DP- no success at first.

BUT...

Running Bidule FX Sidechain AU Plugin in DP Audio Track (did not get sound with AUX track) and AUNetReceive inside Bidule FX Sidechain plugin does produce the result. A workaround but a working workaround nonetheless.
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

papageno wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:54 am I needed to feed audio to DP11 from Finale (NotePerfomer playback).
I am using usually AUNetSent in Finale Master Effects section and receiving it in Plogue Bidule with AUNetReceive. That is my standard setup.
Now that I needed to sync Finale to a DP Movie window (with MTC), I also tried to get AUNetReceive running in DP- no success at first.

BUT...

Running Bidule FX Sidechain AU Plugin in DP Audio Track (did not get sound with AUX track) and AUNetReceive inside Bidule FX Sidechain plugin does produce the result. A workaround but a working workaround nonetheless.
Good so see the workaround.

The other is Rewire but, if using the NotePerformer library, that would require NP to work in DP — I’ve never tried to see if that can work but I might try someday. Finale 25–27 installs the required components and DP receives MIDI from CoreAudio, It works quite well once set up. I don’t recall if I used the Finale User Guide or if I figured it out on my own.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
papageno

Post by papageno »

If I am not mistaken then for NotePerformer to work correctly it need to "read ahead" the notes in Finale. If hosted in DP (theoretically speaking), NP only receives MIDI data from Finale and cannot read ahead anything. We all know that NP for example reads and plays back text expressions without any playback MIDI data defined. That means that running in another host it would lose most of it's 'magic' because it will then receive only MIDI data and cannot read ahead. So we are stuck with NP playback in Finale, using a single core... 2021.
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

papageno wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:31 pm If I am not mistaken then for NotePerformer to work correctly it need to "read ahead" the notes in Finale. If hosted in DP (theoretically speaking), NP only receives MIDI data from Finale and cannot read ahead anything. We all know that NP for example reads and plays back text expressions without any playback MIDI data defined. That means that running in another host it would lose most of it's 'magic' because it will then receive only MIDI data and cannot read ahead. So we are stuck with NP playback in Finale, using a single core... 2021.
I figured something like that. It can also be used in the Aria player and multiple instances can be set up to engage multiple cores. NotePerformer otherwise supports one core only per Wallender.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
papageno

Post by papageno »

Well, I found a better solution- stupid me, was too simple, did not even look.
My previous solution was to create an audio track and assign Bidule Sidechain FX plugin to that track and use AUNetReceive inside the plugin. That works BUT I did not get any MIDI thru when entering notes in Finale. It only played back when Finale was playing.

The better solution is to use Bidule as an INSTRUMENT in instrument track. Did not even know it was possible but it is!
Created a stereo instrument track BIDULE and then used AUNetReceive inside the Bidule instrument. MIDI THRU also works now because the plugin is in active state all the time.
+372 56222285
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

papageno wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:14 am Well, I found a better solution- stupid me, was too simple, did not even look.
My previous solution was to create an audio track and assign Bidule Sidechain FX plugin to that track and use AUNetReceive inside the plugin. That works BUT I did not get any MIDI thru when entering notes in Finale. It only played back when Finale was playing.

The better solution is to use Bidule as an INSTRUMENT in instrument track. Did not even know it was possible but it is!
Created a stereo instrument track BIDULE and then used AUNetReceive inside the Bidule instrument. MIDI THRU also works now because the plugin is in active state all the time.
Nice find!