reaction/drawing a line in DP is very slow

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rockman413
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rockman413 »

Hi I'm using the latest DP9 and after upgrade to my new mac pro, some actions in DP 9 is really really slow like:

1. select a note in MIDI editor, use keyboard to move it up, it takes around 1 second to move it up instead of instantly up. (I had the same problem when I use my old computer)

2. draw a new line in the MIDI cc window under MIDI editor, it takes sometimes 1-2 seconds to show the newly drawed line instead of instantly showing ... My gosh my computer got to be fast enough for displaying this.

Anyone had any idea or this is known DP bugs?

Thank you
macbook pro 10.10, 2.5G,16G ram,256G SSD
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I'm experiencing similar symptoms, on a super fast 12 core running Sierra. Can't understand why. I keep hoping the next small update will correct them but it never does.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Stuartfox

Re: reaction/drawing a line in DP is very slow

Post by Stuartfox »

I've been experiencing similar issues since DP went 64bit.

Does this look familiar?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/md0fh73cnviw2 ... P.m4v?dl=0

Although this is still an issue, I feel that it's improved slightly with 9.13. Has anyone else experienced this?

Might be an idea to compare systems and GPU's to see if there's any patterns.
Stuart Fox
See a preview of my new website and showreel:
http://www.goodsounds.co.uk/preview

Amiga 1200, 80MB HDD, Midimaster MIDI interface, Octamed 6,Bars & Pipes Pro + Korg M1R + Roland XV3080 <Just added!!!.
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

I’ve noticed some slowed visual response in DP9, but nothing super drastic.

When selecting a range of tracks in the SE, the response time in DP 9.13 is slower than DP 8 on the same Mac. It is enough that something as simple as selecting and zooming is now a little frustrating.
I think it may be worse on heavier sessions.

I was previously experiencing some extreme visual lags in DP 9 but the cause appears to have been multiple uses of Ozone 5. The same session runs fine in DP8 however.

This is on a 2012 MacPro w an ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU.
ccrane

Post by ccrane »

Stuartfox wrote:Amiga 1200, 80MB HDD, Midimaster MIDI interface, Octamed 6,Bars & Pipes Pro + Korg M1R + Roland XV3080 <Just added!!!.
Nice sig! (I still have my Macintosh Classic II from '91)
Stuartfox

Post by Stuartfox »

I've found some of the issues, for example drawing controllers improve when getting rid of all plugin windows that may be open in the background.
Stuart Fox
See a preview of my new website and showreel:
http://www.goodsounds.co.uk/preview

Amiga 1200, 80MB HDD, Midimaster MIDI interface, Octamed 6,Bars & Pipes Pro + Korg M1R + Roland XV3080 <Just added!!!.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

the cause appears to have been multiple uses of Ozone 5.
Known issue with Ozone 5. The only thing I use it for is a couple of the reverbs that I like quite a bit but those are not CPU intensive.

Oz 6 and 7 reduced CPU hit by quite a bit. Unfortunately, they dropped reverb.

Speaking of Izotope, many plugs will cause this issue with the GUIs open. If you do not need a plugin window open, close it. I believe that RX 3 Advanced was the absolute worst I ever encountered in that regard (again, with the GUI closed, even that was fine).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

I tried this and find out where the problem is. Normally the GUI is acting normal, not slow but also not as fast as cubase, but is acceptable.

However, if you have Score Editor open, moving a note, drag a note becomes instantly slower , perhaps it's because it cost time to display in the score editor. But my Mac is very power , which shouldn't cost so much time. I believe this is a bug or defect of the software.

Please try this your self, open a new project/session, create 50 MIDI tracks, open the score editor at a separate window, try drag a note or use arrow up/down to move a note up and down. In a normal project 50 MIDI tracks is not too many.

Please make DP a BETTER software and have a SMOOTH/FAST GUI like CUBASE OR LOGIC!!!
rockman413

Post by rockman413 »

sorry when I say score editor, I mean quick scribe .