dark themes issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

dark themes issue

Post by philbrown »

Almost all the themes MOTU offers are WAY too bright for me. But both the Carbon Fiber and None More Black make the window title type disappear (see screen shot). I've done some theme editing in the past - can anyone point me to the parameter I need to change? For the copyright police: I'm not trying to sell custom themes, I'm trying to fix something MOTU apparently screwed up. Or maybe something got hosed in all my recent problems/troubleshooting or maybe it's related to my 10.9.5 > 10.12.4 "upgrade".

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Guitar Gaz

Re: dark themes issue

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I used to do a lot of this before I switched DAW's - there are plenty of threads on this if you do a search.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Guitar Gaz wrote:I used to do a lot of this before I switched DAW's - there are plenty of threads on this if you do a search.
I've looked at a few of them but either missed this or not looking at the right threads. Thought maybe someone could throw me a bone. I'll keep looking.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I've searched every key word combination I can think of here. Can anyone shed any light on this or point to a specific thread?

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Search took less than a minute to turn up this:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60070&p=509455&hil ... es#p509455
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Guitar Gaz wrote:Search took less than a minute to turn up this:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=60070&p=509455&hil ... es#p509455
I read through that 3 times and looked at the photos. The person is changing the small list type, not the window title type, as the text describes and the photos clearly show. I've fooled around in the Style file and can't find the right parameter to change - so telling me some version of "goof around with it until you find the right paramteter" does not help as I've already spent considerable time doing that to no avail.

@Guitar Gaz - are you trying to help or just giving me a hard time? Hard to tell.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

philbrown wrote:both the Carbon Fiber and None More Black make the window title type disappear
Are you still on DP8? I'm looking at both Carbon Fiber and None more Black and it looks like this for me. Image
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Michael Canavan wrote:
philbrown wrote:both the Carbon Fiber and None More Black make the window title type disappear
Are you still on DP8? I'm looking at both Carbon Fiber and None more Black and it looks like this for me. Image
Sorry and thanks for posting. I changed my sig yesterday as I was upgrading to v9 but the upgrade went horribly wrong so I'm back on 8.07 as of this morning. I was having the same issue before the "upgrade" though. I'll change my sig back.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I wasn't clear I guess, in DP9 it shows up white font like the .jpg
Might be a DP8 thing, I'm on sierra 10.12.5 DP9.13
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Michael Canavan wrote:I wasn't clear I guess, in DP9 it shows up white font like the .jpg
Might be a DP8 thing, I'm on sierra 10.12.5 DP9.13
I've had so many issues the last few days I'm not sure which way to look. Could be a Mac thing for all I know. I've used these dark themes in the past on 8.07 and would have noticed this (I can't even see the song title I'm working on) so it's something recent but I don't know what to tie it to. I've reinstalled so many times I lost count.

Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

philbrown wrote:
@Guitar Gaz - are you trying to help or just giving me a hard time? Hard to tell.
Obviously trying to give you a hard time as I have nothing better to do than waste my time answering queries on this forum. There are several threads generally on Themes which a quick search would find - plus people posting actual themes for others to download. That's what I intended to make you search further - and you could have found many examples - including some of my postings about changes in DP8 to themes.

Your problem is the text colour of which there are several lines in the Style file - I could have looked for you and done some more research to help your problem - but with your attitude you can whistle....
Gary Shepherd
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Oh great.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
tommymandel

Post by tommymandel »

Phil - thanks for reminding me of the None More Black theme! I also feel that many of the DP themes are lighter than I'd like, so that one is a find for me. The Sequence title in the Menu Header is white on my (10.9.5/DP 9.13 72621) system. I finally found a highlight color that seems to work in most cases with this theme: RGB, it's 145, 55, 61.
best, t.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

tommymandel wrote:Phil - thanks for reminding me of the None More Black theme! I also feel that many of the DP themes are lighter than I'd like, so that one is a find for me. The Sequence title in the Menu Header is white on my (10.9.5/DP 9.13 72621) system. I finally found a highlight color that seems to work in most cases with this theme: RGB, it's 145, 55, 61.
best, t.
I'm with you, Tommy in that I'd like to see half a dozen new dark themes as there are plenty of super-bright ones already. hard to believe folks use those but I guess our eye/brains are are all wired differently. Carbon Black is my fave at the moment but I have it customized with metallic faders and different buttons.

After spending hours trying to find the magic theme parameter for my title bar type issue I finally gave up. There's something much deeper going on with my system in that DP 9 won't even install and run after many attempts, so I don't think the issue can be fixed within the theme in my case. I have a souped up 2012 12 core on the way and I'm going to start over with fresh installs of everything. Fun fun fun. Meanwhile my 2009 is limping along like the car that barely coasts into the car dealer lot to trade it in.