endless DP crashing w/crash report

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

endless DP crashing w/crash report

Post by philbrown »

DP was running OK yesterday after updating some Slate plugs except for a couple of crashes that the crash report pointed to DP's Auralizer plug which I have never used so I trashed it and all seemed fine then. Today I was messing around with Keyscape in an otherwise blank file to run the buffer down to 32. Usually I keep it at max. Then I switched to another song but forgot to change the buffer. Now I'm in an endless crash loop. DP acts like it's going to start, then hesitates then vaporizes. I reinstalled DP, trashed prefs, pulled AU and MAS plugs and several other things. I run a Midas M32R and 24io - tried starting with those turned off too. I'm totally stumped. Crash report (same thing every time) below. I pulled the main prefs file I'm going to try pulling all DP related stuff and re-reinstalling I guess.

I'm on DP 8.07 / 10.12.4

2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Re: endless DP crashing w/crash report

Post by mikehalloran »

More than once, I've seen a plugin install or upgrade mess with the paths. Reinstalling DP generally fixes this. Trashing the Preferences never does.

I would reinstall DP letting it overwrite, reboot and see if you still have a problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:More than once, I've seen a plugin install or upgrade mess with the paths. Reinstalling DP generally fixes this. Trashing the Preferences never does.

I would reinstall DP letting it overwrite, reboot and see if you still have a problem.
I tried re-installing 8.07 several times, the last times I removed everything even remotely DP related before trying again. Then I did something I've been thinking about anyway - I bought DP 9.12 and installed it. I thought that would be a clever end-run around the problem. After going through all plugs it hung (endless beach ball requiring force quit) at the opening splash screen where it shows your info. Tried another two 'clean installs' with the same result.

Finally out of desperation I rolled back 36 hours to a Time Machine backup. After a few more hours getting that done I'm now in password hell as the OS seems to have forgotten just about everything including having to rebuild my email as if I just migrated to a new computer or something. I thought TM restores were supposed to be relatively straightforward. NOT. Now I'm also back to DP 8.07 and not sure what to do next other than voodoo incantations (between looking up old passwords).
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Well I finally got DP 8.07 running so I thought I'd try to install 9.13. It hangs on 'Wah pedal' and had to force quit. Report shows nothing I can comprehend to try to fix. I've spent about 14 hours on all this so far.

1280bregs

Post by 1280bregs »

Hi Phil,

DP8 isn't qualified to run on OSX 10.12. The last build of 8 (8.07) was released in 2014. OSX 10.12.4 is very new and there will be issues with this setup (regardless of issue with third party plug-ins). I recommend updating to 9.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

1280bregs wrote:Hi Phil,

DP8 isn't qualified to run on OSX 10.12. The last build of 8 (8.07) was released in 2014. OSX 10.12.4 is very new and there will be issues with this setup (regardless of issue with third party plug-ins). I recommend updating to 9.
Thanks and good info. I bought DP9 but I can't get it to install and run despite several tries and even removing everything DP related - as clean of a DP install as I could. 9 always hangs somewhere either in the install or when it's finally ready to start up and I have to force quit with no report to know what's up. V8 is crash-prone on bigger projects but after re-installing a few times it's running OK for now. I'm looking at wiping my whole system from the ground up at this point so I'm planning on buying another Mac Pro to start fresh (with V9) and make this computer a backup. I'm looking at Spectrasonics, Komplete etc so it will be quite a lengthy project but it will be nice to have a fresh system.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Cool. New Mac Pro! Mind the graphic cards!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Cool. New Mac Pro! Mind the graphic cards!
All I can do in practicality is a nicely souped-up cheese grater for now, which will be about twice as fast as my 2009. And my trash can remains... well, just a trash can. :D

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bought DP9 but I can't get it to install and run despite several tries and even removing everything DP related - as clean of a DP install as I could. 9 always hangs somewhere either in the install or when it's finally ready to start up and I have to force quit with no report to know what's up
The cause of the problem is not likely to be DP. Console.app should tell you what it is, usually obsolete apps and drivers—often shareware or free utilities that didn't follow (or predated) the current Apple Toolkit. Removing it should fix the problem.

You will be looking at the time stamps and expanding the messages as needed, usually it's old code trying to load but failing. I have seen 2005 HP drivers and 2009 Finale Help files cause this. If you see Mackie HUI drivers trying to load and failing, reinstall DP again.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:
bought DP9 but I can't get it to install and run despite several tries and even removing everything DP related - as clean of a DP install as I could. 9 always hangs somewhere either in the install or when it's finally ready to start up and I have to force quit with no report to know what's up
The cause of the problem is not likely to be DP. Console.app should tell you what it is, usually obsolete apps and drivers—often shareware or free utilities that didn't follow (or predated) the current Apple Toolkit. Removing it should fix the problem.

You will be looking at the time stamps and expanding the messages as needed, usually it's old code trying to load but failing. I have seen 2005 HP drivers and 2009 Finale Help files cause this. If you see Mackie HUI drivers trying to load and failing, reinstall DP again.
As always, thanks a million, Mike. So far I'm not able to point to anything specific in Console or crash/hang reports but I'll keep looking.

Can the Mackie HUI driver(s) be manually removed or does DP expect to see it?
Seems like that's been a suspect for many years now.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Can the Mackie HUI driver(s) be manually removed or does DP expect to see it?
DP expects to see it. Sometimes, watching it fail to load is quite useful for diagnosing problems.