Change MIDI channel mid-track?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csansom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Change MIDI channel mid-track?

Post by csansom »

I've a strong suspicion I know the answer to this, but I'll float it anyway...

Is there a way to put MIDI channel data on a track such that it plays part of it through one MIDI channel then changes to another and so on?

Why do I ask? I'm using Spitfire's lovely Sable strings, but to use a wide range of articulations I need to load separate 'palette' instruments into Kontakt and switch between them. Suppose I want my violins to play normally, then briefly do a bit of tremolando, then change to pizzicato (or whatever), I need to send the trem bit to a different slot in Kontakt, then switch back to the first one, and they have to be on separate MIDI channels to avoid conflicts.

(What I don't want to do is send to more than one MIDI channel simultaneously, which I assume is what a device group does, though I've never used this.)

I'm assuming I simply have to put the bit of trem on a separate track, which is clumsy, but if anyone knows a better way...?
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Change MIDI channel mid-track?

Post by terrybritton »

I looked high and low at the MIDI editor but could not find a channel parameter. I'm not that familiar with the "Drum Editor" - something like that might be in there.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
csansom

Post by csansom »

Thanks, terrybritton, but I doubt it. In many ways it makes sense that I can't do what I'd like to: each track is definitely wedded to one output. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask.
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

csansom wrote:Thanks, terrybritton, but I doubt it. In many ways it makes sense that I can't do what I'd like to: each track is definitely wedded to one output. It's a long shot, but I thought I'd ask.
For that application of switching articulations mid-stream it would definitely be handy. But couldn't one use a low MIDI note to do that, assuming the articulation switches can be mapped to the keyboard?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
cchristensson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by cchristensson »

Hi
I use a lot of Sable and I do it this way.
Load the Sable patches You need, put them all on the same channel and switch between the arts with keyswitches or the UACC, which uses different values on cc32 to pick the right art.
This is not hard to do at all. Read about it in the sable manual.
Regards
Christer C
csansom

Post by csansom »

Hi Christer

Thank you, thank you! I'd discovered that you could do this within the Core palette on its own, or the Decorative or Legato palette similarly (and subsequently that it's unnecessary if you use a Combination brush). But it hadn’t occurred to me that this actually extends across all those palettes, and that all the CC32 values are unique!

Fantastic - many thanks again!
cchristensson
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by cchristensson »

Hi
You're welcome!
If you have an Ipad or Android get Lemur or Touchosc and make a controller for your template.
You're gonna love it.
Regards
Christer
csansom

Post by csansom »

I've got TouchOSC, with templates provided by Embertone for their excellent solo strings. I might try and make my own for Sable...

Thanks for the suggestion.