Using VE Pro and switching between chunks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Pacific Seas Music
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using VE Pro and switching between chunks

Post by Pacific Seas Music »

Please forgive me if this is a super simple solution, but up until recently I have always used v-racks in DP and switching between chunks in a DP session was always very easy as far as keeping all the plug-ins loaded that way. However, it did end up taking a lot of processing power in larger sessions so I have finally joined the rest of the world in using VE Pro to host all of my plug-ins instead.

I have noticed that whenever I switch between chunks in my DP session that all VE Pro instances stop working (they say they are no longer connected or "busy") until I switch DP back to the original chunk that was loaded upon initially opening DP. If I want to switch to a chunk, I have to switch to it, close out of the session and then re-open DP to successfully connect all VE Pro instances to that one - even though every chunk is set up exactly the same way as far as routing/instruments. I know there must be an easy solution to this problem but I have searched this forum and others to no avail. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm currently running DP 9.12 and VE Pro 6 on a 2012 Mac Pro (OS 10.11.6)
FMiguelez

Re: Using VE Pro and switching between chunks

Post by FMiguelez »

That is very strange. It's totally against VE Pro's raison d'être. I mean, its whole point is precisely to avoid what you are seeing.

My system works as intended, so I'm stumped with that. I'd ask in the VSL forum. I bet they can help you with this.

I suppose your VE Pro instances are properly Preserved?

One thing you can try is to use the "Decouple All" feature, but BE VERY CAREFUL with it.
The moment you turn it on, DP will stop saving VE Pro. You must save VE Pro locally. I always recommend turning it off just before you stop working and close DP, so it gets saved with it, and it loads automatically next time you engage its corresponding V-Rack.

This might improve things. Let us know.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

BTW, it almost sounds as if the other DP chunks are trying to reconnect to the opened instances, as if they were new or different. Nothing should be trying to reconnect, as you are already connected from the original chunk.
Do you have a VE Pro or VI Pro instrument in those chunks, by any chance?

How about the tracks? Are they properly routed TO THOSE instances? Double check this.

I switch chunks all the time, and all VE Pro instances remain connected normally.
I only get the "Busy" message when DP crashes and the connection remains, so I must Force Disconnect it and then relaunch and reconnect from DP.
But this is not your case. I'm just mentioning it so you know that this is the only time I've ever seen that Busy message.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Pacific Seas Music

Post by Pacific Seas Music »

Thanks FMiguelez!

I'm glad to know that this is indeed strange. I did have everything in VE Pro properly preserved and decoupled as I was working. I did, however, have some VE Pro instrument tracks in each chunk though (copied from the original sequence)that were originally created when setting up the session.

After some trial and error, I found that if I move each of those VE Pro instrument tracks to their own V-Racks in DP in the original sequence BEFORE I create any additional sequences or chunks in the session that I then do not have that problem and can switch between them successfully. (I noticed that if I had already created additional chunks in the session then moving those to a v-rack in the original sequence did not solve the problem).

Thank you again as your note on the instrument tracks led me to this conclusion!