Retrieving Legacy Version of DP/serial # in memory?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tantroniq
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Retrieving Legacy Version of DP/serial # in memory?

Post by tantroniq »

I made a switch to Cubase many moons ago, but used an old G4 with my DP version 2.42 (I think that was the version) JUST so I could use the spectral effects feature.

Now many years and broken computers later, my G4 bit the dust some time ago, and my husband was able to retrieve some data from the secondary as well as the boot drive. Both drives had gone bad and somewhere I know I have boot disks and yet some other place I have a DP install disk.

The thing I am not sure about are my serial numbers. Since I was a registered user, and if I was able to boot from a disk, would I be able to retrieve any stored serial #/e license information from that boot drive?

Finally, does anyone know it subsequent versions of DP made alterations to the Spectral effects plugin or does it still live within current versions of DP?

Since ALL of this is about that (for me) holy grail of Spectral Effects, which I used in ways it was not intended to get a signature sound I would like to recreate, I am wondering who here knows the ins and outs of that plugin. I did write down some of the custom settings I used, but currently am in search of a customizable plugin that _might_ do similar if not almost the exact same thing. I highly suspect, though, that the codecs/algorithms used are locked as secrets within the inner sanctum of the plugin/program.
stubbsonic

Re: Retrieving Legacy Version of DP/serial # in memory?

Post by stubbsonic »

I have DP 8, and the spectral effects are still there. I don't recall them making any changes to it. It looks the same as before. Hopefully, someone can confirm that it still exists in version 9. I imagine it is still there, as MOTU rarely removes features.

You can call MOTU and get the required codes you need.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
tantroniq

Post by tantroniq »

stubbsonic wrote:I have DP 8, and the spectral effects are still there. I don't recall them making any changes to it. It looks the same as before. Hopefully, someone can confirm that it still exists in version 9. I imagine it is still there, as MOTU rarely removes features.

You can call MOTU and get the required codes you need.
I hoped that would be the case. That is a relief to know. I just found some posts elsewhere that do confirm Spectral Effects is alive and well in the current version. Also good to know!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not certain what you are looking for.

You can download the current version for a fully functioning 30 day demo and find out for yourself if it does what you want. As part of the download, you'll find the User Guide as a searchable .pdf so you can read up on the current version of Spectral Effects.

You would need a G4 running OS 9 (or G3 running OS 8 or 9) to use v. 2.x plus you need the CD to authorize it (the CD is no longer necessary beginning with DP 8 ).

If you registered DP 2 with MOTU, your serial number doesn't change, only the Key and CD for each major version.

If you don't recall your login for MOTU.com, there are ways to recover it and your serial number including a telephone call to MOTU. So once your old info is found, you can upgrade from v.2 straight to DP 9.

http://motu.com/techsupport
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tantroniq

Post by tantroniq »

DOH! I found my disk and its version 2.43. On the disk it says when prompted I should install the 3.5inch disc with the key code.
:lol: Yeah, no idea where that would be.

More disturbing: Although it doesnt say its an update disk, if its 2.43 wouldnt it have to be? Then again what may have happened is I updated from regular performer to DP and it so happened to be at that version. The disc is dates 1998. This was a looong time ago. Granted I was a registered user and I did get newer versions but does MOTU really keep info going back that far that would allow me to legitimately install such old software that I legitimately owned and own?

I cant afford to buy the new version of DP. I just want to use spectral effects, so if I can somehow revive this ancient G4 and version of DP I will have accomplished my mission.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Your key code is a sticker inside your manual or quick-start guide — usually the back cover. The Key uses dashes, not minus signs.

Your CD should be all that is necessary to authorize v.2.43 but that was a long time ago (20 years?). I really don't recall if you also need the 3.5" floppy.

I know that CD is all that's needed to Authorize DP 2.7 since that was released after the B&W G3. If the 2.43 CD doesn't work, you will need to contact MOTU for the 2.7 CD. But you say that 2.43 was installed on your G4 previously so it's likely that the CD will work to Authorize.

My recollection is that 2.43 is the version I bought (from Sweetwater) and that MOTU sent me a 2.71 CD almost immediately after I registered.

The oldest available download nowadays is the 2.72 Patch which requires you to have 2.7 or 2.71 installed.

http://motu.com/download/download_match ... oduct_id=1

Digital Performer 2.72 Patch

This is a maintenance update to DP 2.7 and 2.71. No new features.. just small improvements. The patcher will only work on ship versions of DP 2.7 or 2.71. This archive requires Stuffit 5.1.2 or higher to download.

Double-click patcher, locate the application to update, and update

I threw out everything that preceded DP 7.24 years ago except my 4.61 and 5.01 CDs which I still have.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
tantroniq

Post by tantroniq »

I do not have my quick start guide or manuals for 20 year old software.. I did up until fairly recently when I went through a divorce and move. Many things lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for your help thus far. Im tantalizingly close but yet seemingly far away. I am hoping Motu can help me somehow.

Thanks
doodles

Post by doodles »

just call MOTU! they're pretty cool people, sure they'll help you out.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam