Biggest issue for not purchasing DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Biggest issue for not purchasing DP

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:
terrybritton wrote: Michael, I swear to you it is far easier to hold down the "R" key and swipe the mouse across the velocity line at the height you want it at than it is to grab that end-point. You can even see the exact number you are swiping at from the line in the gauge at the far left. (I use the "Flat" ReShape mode when working this way.) Give it a try and you will become a convert and never hunt and fish with your mouse for that little "V" again! :)

Terry
The Reshape is not helpful when there are two velocities that are almost on top of each other and you only want to lower or raise one. It's not helpful when you don't want your velocities to have a "shape" in terms of what I'm talking about here. I'm not wanting smooth or inorganic velocity curves, only interested in using the actual GUI v for single velocity shaping, which even while not ideal is better than anything you guys are offering up. The Reshape function is a great tool, in conjunction with being able to simply grab a v and adjust an errant velocity layer. Not trying to be difficult but you guys are proving my point, work arounds don't make up for a feature that could be better. Yes it doesn't break DP, no it's not as elegant as it could be.
This all reminds me I have to have the v again, someone made a nice little square that adds enough pixels to make it less cumbersome, but every update it gets replaced. :?
ZOOM in closer! Re-read my steps above. (...and I see grabbing that little "V" as a "workaround" for not knowing you can do it easier the way I am describing!) :wink:

Terry
Computer: Dell XPS 8700-1751BLK | Intel i7 4790@3.6Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Windows 10 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.2 | Cantabile 3 Performer
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk1 & S-49 Mk2,
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010, Peavey PC 1600x
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, 2x Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
rangerx
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by rangerx »

Michael Canavan wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Adjusting a single note is easy. I select the note and go to the info box and type in the value. If that's the box were talking about then either I have amazing vision or others have impaired vision, because I can see and select those boxes quite easily. Grabbing the velocity point in the MIDI editor is easy. Granted it can be tricky in the SE, but I don't edit MIDI data there.

Or are we talking about something else? Also, holding down the r key ( for reshape tool) is by far the fastest way to change velocity (as long as those data points are visible. Seriously, I simply don't have the issues mentioned in this thread as a serious issues for me. I guess I'm just getting younger. LOL

Look, I have for years, since 2.7 used the actual v on the velocity line to adjust the velocity. The reason for this is simple, it's quicker, but I have to admit the only setback is having to be ridiculously precise with the mouse.
If you're wondering why it would be synths more than anything else, with filters opening up via velocity that get finicky around a certain setting. It's much quicker to just jump in there and grab the little v than to mess around in the info box or Event editor etc. since at times it involves a lot of back and forth to find the spot, if you're not just matching it to the adjacent spot.

Everyone uses DP a bit differently, for instance I'm in total agreement with you about Chunk Folders and I'm sure there are people who have no use at all for that feature, and think we should just rename things to quickly sort them like they do etc. Folders in the Chunks menu for me though would go right below "Rendering all tracks as separate audio files", as far a productivity features I would like to see, then it would be a freaking few more pixels for the v in the velocity line!
your 100% right cant understand anger over an opinion and attack in manner that is insulting not knowing who we are

i just emailed a friend about DP9 , his response was impossible to see on his 4k cant read the fonts
Mac min 16 gig, Mac pro 6.1 64 gig
Kawai VPC1 ,Nektar P6, Maschine Studio, 2 Mascjine Jam
Motu 828 es, acer touch screen t272hul. 3 Asus monitiors

ITS A GOOD DAY FOR A SMILE !
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

terrybritton wrote: ZOOM in closer!
Yes adding in steps makes your approach.... better? easier?
Oh, right, it doesn't! :P

You're reaching, I really don't mean to be rude, it's just that you're attempting to justify a thing that's been an issue forever with work arounds. That's all good if someone is saying DP is unusable in the form it's in, I'm saying I still think grabbing the little v is faster for single velocity adjustments and it is, I'm saying the only set back is the size of the v, you telling me to zoom in, hit r, carefully select and adjust adds two more steps, it's not superior in any way shape or form.

There's a real work around that involves replacing the .png that makes the V with a square here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62715&hilit=velocity
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

rangerx wrote:your 100% right cant understand anger over an opinion and attack in manner that is insulting not knowing who we are

i just emailed a friend about DP9 , his response was impossible to see on his 4k cant read the fonts
4Ks will do that to 90% of the DAWs out there though. Maybe Bitwig and Live won't have issues, possibly Cubase, but even Logic looks tiny font wise on those things. To really put this to rest here's as close to size comparisons as I could find quickly.
Logic, Pro Tools, Cubase and DP, I don't see any major font differences Keeping in mind some of these are lower resolution .jpgs....
Cubase
Pro Tools
Logic
and DP9
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:
terrybritton wrote: ZOOM in closer!
Yes adding in steps makes your approach.... better? easier?
Oh, right, it doesn't! :P

You're reaching, I really don't mean to be rude, it's just that you're attempting to justify a thing that's been an issue forever with work arounds. That's all good if someone is saying DP is unusable in the form it's in, I'm saying I still think grabbing the little v is faster for single velocity adjustments and it is, I'm saying the only set back is the size of the v, you telling me to zoom in, hit r, carefully select and adjust adds two more steps, it's not superior in any way shape or form.

There's a real work around that involves replacing the .png that makes the V with a square here:
Oh, well, OK then - I do concur that for changing just a single velocity, your way is the most logical. But even if fiddly, grabbing just one of those would not be a bother to me, as I WOULD grab it, and I personally do not find it that hard for ONE.

But if doing a ton of these edits, then the way I've always done it works best for me - zoom in, use the ReShape tool.

I just don't see it really being an issue, because for me, it absolutely isn't one.

Terry
Computer: Dell XPS 8700-1751BLK | Intel i7 4790@3.6Mhz | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Windows 10 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Michael Canavan

terrybritton wrote: Oh, well, OK then - I do concur that for changing just a single velocity, your way is the most logical. But even if fiddly, grabbing just one of those would not be a bother to me, as I WOULD grab it, and I personally do not find it that hard for ONE.

But if doing a ton of these edits, then the way I've always done it works best for me - zoom in, use the ReShape tool.

I just don't see it really being an issue, because for me, it absolutely isn't one.

Terry
You're not willing to admit that many people have issues with the velocity line selection DP? or are you saying that everyone else can't select things as well as you? Trying to figure out your reasoning here?

I can't believe anyone would think this isn't an obvious area for improvement, and I'm often shocked at the sheer rejection of anyone suggesting that there is an issue when it's easy enough compare the GUI across DAWs, because believe me, this is the one area where DP looks not so great.

And what exactly does it benefit you to not want the GUI of DP to improve?
rangerx

Post by rangerx »

Michael Canavan wrote:
terrybritton wrote: Oh, well, OK then - I do concur that for changing just a single velocity, your way is the most logical. But even if fiddly, grabbing just one of those would not be a bother to me, as I WOULD grab it, and I personally do not find it that hard for ONE.

Terry
You're not willing to admit that many people have issues with the velocity line selection DP? or are you saying that everyone else can't select things as well as you? Trying to figure out your reasoning here?

I can't believe anyone would think this isn't an obvious area for improvement, and I'm often shocked at the sheer rejection of anyone suggesting that there is an issue when it's easy enough compare the GUI across DAWs, because believe me, this is the one area where DP looks not so great.

i tried another daw as always looking but always coming back to DP
i did see a different thought on MIDI points this daws approach was unique
and probably be easy to program, they have the MIDI points as all but added a horizontal line attached to the points you can grab the bar instead if the point
i like the event list for single note edit in dp along with the draw tool

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If I'm not mistaken, someone in a previous thread on this subject was able to replace the little icons with slightly larger ones. I don't know if this just made them easier to see, or if it actually increased the grab-able size. If this is true, it seems DP could make this improvement in a .0x release-- and without much bother. Perhaps with a little more hoop jumping, DP could add a preference for choosing between different sizes (or even "display resolutions").
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Michael Canavan

stubbsonic wrote:If I'm not mistaken, someone in a previous thread on this subject was able to replace the little icons with slightly larger ones. I don't know if this just made them easier to see, or if it actually increased the grab-able size. If this is true, it seems DP could make this improvement in a .0x release-- and without much bother. Perhaps with a little more hoop jumping, DP could add a preference for choosing between different sizes (or even "display resolutions").
Yeah I posted the link earlier in this thread,
It helps, especially in terms of those with bad eyesight I'm sure.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:

Terry

What??? :shock: I have no skin in that game. I simply was pointing out a workflow that makes for a workaround -- or even a better workflow than people are used to who only work by grabbing the handles -- and that is all. I will not be upset if the GUI is improved. I'm only trying to help out, not call out everyone engaged in this debate as being idiots. Geesh!

Like I stated quite clearly, I have NEVER done it the way many others seem to - grabbing the handles to adjust them. That is because I am seldom only working on just a single one. When I am actually working on a single one, I grope around just like everyone else and grab that handle to move it. But I'd never stand for doing that over and over again during a long session of adjustments. In fact, if there were TOO many in a take, I'd re-record it.

Anyway, I hope this GUI gets fixed. There, I said it.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

rangerx

Post by rangerx »

Michael Canavan wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:If I'm not mistaken, someone in a previous thread on this subject was able to replace the little icons with slightly larger ones. I don't know if this just made them easier to see, or if it actually increased the grab-able size. If this is true, it seems DP could make this improvement in a .0x release-- and without much bother. Perhaps with a little more hoop jumping, DP could add a preference for choosing between different sizes (or even "display resolutions").
Yeah I posted the link earlier in this thread,
It helps, especially in terms of those with bad eyesight I'm sure.
did the edit made it into a square and changed the red to acqua ,simple process and now happy , im using carbon fiber and the deep red difficult to see on dark grey
even using hi-res it perfect
thanks MC very happy now

Michael Canavan

terrybritton wrote: Anyway, I hope this GUI gets fixed. There, I said it.

Terry
Thanks, gotta throw a brother a bone every once in a while! :lol: :lol:
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:
terrybritton wrote: Anyway, I hope this GUI gets fixed. There, I said it.

Terry
Thanks, gotta throw a brother a bone every once in a while! :lol: :lol:
You forced my hand! :mrgreen:

Anyway - hey, it's me, remember? That helpful Terry guy?

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Anyway - hey, it's me, remember? That helpful Terry guy?
Are you the same Terry Britton who once posted an article about Philips Christmas Tree Lights?
DP 11.3; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.2.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBP Catalina
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
rangerx

Post by rangerx »

well now that post from Michael Canavan about editing the v in the editor worked i can edit a point from 5 feet away with no grief, DP9 from me has no flaws now
logging off until next crises :D