Crossfades wipe out Bite Gain in 9.13

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Sean Kenny
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Crossfades wipe out Bite Gain in 9.13

Post by Sean Kenny »

Hi guys

I have reported this to motu tech, but thought I'd post here as well in case anyone can shed any light

I have tried this in two versions of 9.13

Revisions 72359 & 72621 (the latest)

Bite Gain wiped out when crossfades applied

Any bite gain applied to a soundbite created from a larger soundbite is lost when cross fades are applied. e.g. singling out a particular word in a line of a vocal, so that the newly created soundbite containing the word, is still addressing the 'parent' soundbite (the whole line). I recommend applying a silly amount of gain to to exaggerate and highlight the problem, say 12 db for example

In this scenario the bite gain increase is clearly audible as you play the line. Now apply crossfades to the start and end of the new soundbite and play the line. You will hear the gain increase has disappeared and the line sounds as per the original

Interestingly, if you first, print the new soundbite containing the isolated word using Merge Soundbite, THEN apply the bite gain and the crossfades as before, the bite gain is preserved and NOT wiped out by the fades. So it's seems that the problem is linked to the files association to the parent file from which it is created, and disappears as soon as that relationship is removed by Merging the soundbite to create a new and discrete file; BUT ONLY in 9.13

So it's still back to 9.02 for me

Would be useful if any of you guys on different machines could try this out. It may be specific to my system and might help to at least rule that out.

Cheers

Sean
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/
HCMarkus

Re: Crossfades wipe out Bite Gain in 9.13

Post by HCMarkus »

As I recall from work I was doing on Tuesday, although gain was not impacted by addition of a crossfade on my system, I noted that, unless I shifted the gain-adjusted audio in time, a click was created at the end of the fade, most noticeable with longer crossfade times.

Edit: Reported to MOTU
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Sean Kenny

Re: Crossfades wipe out Bite Gain in 9.13

Post by Sean Kenny »

A promising development. I already got this reply from Andrew @ Motu
Added by Andrew on 2017/05/18 14:59:43 Universal
State change from 'Awaiting reply' to 'In progress'
Hi Sean,

Thanks for writing. This is a bug that found it's way into 9.13. We are currently working on the fix. I'll keep you posted as to when we have a new update out.

Thanks,
Andrew
So they're on it
Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC - OS X 10.12.4 - DP 9.13 - RME HDSPe Madi card - iz ADA converters 24 i/o - Antelope Orion 32 i/o - Audient desk - Miller & Kreisel Monitors - Wunder Mic Pre's x 8 - very understanding wife!
http://www.ten21recordingstudios.co.uk/