pitch editing gone wonky

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

pitch editing gone wonky

Post by philbrown »

I'm doing some minor pitch correcting on a vocal. Normally DP's pich editing works great. There are 6 lines in the chorus but one line won't edit. I try to move the pitch block and it's stuck. Then this weirdness happened, (see pic) and the only bars that will move are the extra bars that came out of nowhere and now I can't get rid of them. They don't affect the pitch when moved. I restarted DP and nothing changed. Any ideas?

There's also an extra bar "underneath" the last one. When I move the bar that's directly in line to the left, they both move.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
FMiguelez

Re: pitch editing gone wonky

Post by FMiguelez »

I see DP8.07 in your signature. Is that what it is in your pick?

The only time I get something like you're seeing, only worse, like a Frankensteinian mess, is if I make any tempo changes. Did you make any?

Another thing that needs to get fixed urgently :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

FMiguelez wrote:I see DP8.07 in your signature. Is that what it is in your pick?

The only time I get something like you're seeing, only worse, like a Frankensteinian mess, is if I make any tempo changes. Did you make any?

Another thing that needs to get fixed urgently :smash:
Yes I'm on 8.07 by choice. No tempo changes just 110 bpm through the song.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I re-installed DP and restarted. Same thing. It's only happening on the last part of one line. The first half of the line doesn't have extra bars but the bars that are there won't move. I can move the extra bars in the last half around freely but the actual pitch bars don't move and the vocal pitch is unaffected. Rest of the song is fine, what I've worked on anyway.

I'll go back and check some earlier versions of this song but I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by philbrown on Tue May 16, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

EMRR

Post by EMRR »

I don't have an answer, but did see something similar once. Worst, when I returned to the session at a later date, moves I'd attempted to make had gone through, even though they wouldn't move at the initial attempt. Like the particular action was frozen and locked out, yet was cataloging and showed up later.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do you have a sub harmonic or rumble somewhere? Try running the audio through a high pass filter and see if that cleans it up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:Do you have a sub harmonic or rumble somewhere? Try running the audio through a high pass filter and see if that cleans it up.
Its already been hi-passed. Also all the pitches are stuck and uneditable in that one phrase. I ended up copying and pasting a similar phrase from earlier in the song just to get on with it. Hopefully it's a one-time weirdness – which I've seen plenty of over the years.

Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

Have you tried clearing the Audio Pitch Correction and letting it reanalyze the Soundbite? Maybe try Splitting the soundbite and creating a new one just from the problematic section. See if DP recognizes it differently. It's worked for me before. Try it on a new track.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Tritonemusic wrote:Have you tried clearing the Audio Pitch Correction and letting it reanalyze the Soundbite? Maybe try Splitting the soundbite and creating a new one just from the problematic section. See if DP recognizes it differently. It's worked for me before. Try it on a new track.
Thanks. Those are excellent ideas - bouncing a fresh section of audio and then re-processing would probably work if just splitting the bite didn't. I've moved on and am working on other stuff but if it happens again- and it might- I'll do that.