Bouncing problems Dp 9.13

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
raromatix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bouncing problems Dp 9.13

Post by raromatix »

I met a rather annoying problem while bouncing a software instrument (Kontakt) today: Only the first third of the region was filled, the rest of it empty! While trying bouncing rest of it the soundbite was empty as well. DP also flatly refused filling the regions while bouncing other instruments and sound files as well in this particularly project - very strange indeed my dear Watson! Never met that very problem before (I´m after all a seasoned user of DP since the 90:s). After usual procedures (correcting permissions, thrashing preferences, rebooting, hardware and file tests, thrashing caches…) the problem remained! Bad! I exported and converted the whole lot into the realms of my Logic Pro X and met no problems regarding bouncing procedures. 1-0 to Logic! Then i opened the mentioned above exported MIDI file in DP..and lo and behold! The bouncing worked again! It seem to me that the mentioned dpdoc file had been corrupted along the way. Strange..and..alarming! Any explanation from my dear DP-brothers and sisters?
MacPro 2013 32 gb ram OSX 10.12.4 Dp 9.13
mikehalloran

Re: Bouncing problems Dp 9.13

Post by mikehalloran »

Doesn't look like a DP problem to me. It could be but that's not normal.

Bounce problems are often a symptom of a bad stick of RAM. I'm never certain till I torture the sticks as the problem can be intermittent. I used to use TechTool Pro for but now Micromat has an even better tool called Atomic.
https://www.micromat.com/products/atomic
When bounce gets bad enough, pulling and swapping sticks will reveal the culprit.

I wonder how long the NV RAM batteries last in these? Normal recommendation is 5 years but these are subject to more heat than most Macs. Because of the internal temperature, Apple recommends that the BR2032 battery be replaced with the same and not the more common CR2032 batteries that work fine in the older Mac Pro. Believe it or not, low voltage in this battery causes more problems than if the battery is missing.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
raromatix

Post by raromatix »

Thanxalot Mike for Your answer and tips. I regulary check my RAM with the help of our dear Apple hardware test (”Press D”)..but i could`t resist buying the Atomic (thanx for the tip) and execute an atomic test in case the good ol´ Apple tester missed something…well, due to the Atomic expertise my RAM agrees with the holy Apple and my RAM is healthy as a horse. Accordingly the explanation to my bouncing mishaps is to be found somewhere else; Curiously some of my other projects could be bounced properly and the faulty one also - at least the day before! But today this very project derailed; something bad happened to this very dpdocfile. As i wrote- no problems bouncing the very same project in the land of Logic X..and after exporting the MIDI files and creating a new project the bouncing business was on the rail again…This problem will probably turn up again…maybe i had (reluctantly) to change environment and better join the Logic people? Anyway..thanks :-)
Yours
Peter Hansen
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

raromatix wrote:Thanxalot Mike for Your answer and tips. I regulary check my RAM with the help of our dear Apple hardware test (”Press D”)..but i could`t resist buying the Atomic (thanx for the tip) and execute an atomic test in case the good ol´ Apple tester missed something…well, due to the Atomic expertise my RAM agrees with the holy Apple and my RAM is healthy as a horse. Accordingly the explanation to my bouncing mishaps is to be found somewhere else; Curiously some of my other projects could be bounced properly and the faulty one also - at least the day before! But today this very project derailed; something bad happened to this very dpdocfile. As i wrote- no problems bouncing the very same project in the land of Logic X..and after exporting the MIDI files and creating a new project the bouncing business was on the rail again…This problem will probably turn up again…maybe i had (reluctantly) to change environment and better join the Logic people? Anyway..thanks :-)
Yours
Peter Hansen
Open Console. If something is interfering with the process, it should show up at the time stamp.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

I believe I had this EXACT same problem. I left a thread about this last fall:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62656&p=535317&hili ... um#p535317

I got only once response here, but I have been in touch with Brian at MOTU a number of times and so far have had NO solution, other than going back to 9.02. I even tried 9.13 on the old project that had first shown this problem with bouncing and unfortunately 9.13 did not fix my issue.

I intend to try 9.13 more extensively and see if the problem goes away with new projects. I will let you know my progress.

Meanwhile, try opening up the project in 9.02 and finishing there with the bounce, after of course renaming it something else and saving as a separate project. I'm pretty certain that will work.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
raromatix

Post by raromatix »

Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms kinnylanddrum

Thank You very much for your tip. Your 9.02 prescription worked impeccable but i find it somewhat annoying that Brian at MOTU seems to be lost and helpless concerning this important and basic matter. The mentioned projects was brand-new and conceived within 9.13.

Yours

Raromatix -Peter Hansen
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Hi Peter,

I also was somewhat peeved that Brian couldn't find a problem with a particular project that didn't bounce right. He said the bounces worked at MOTU.

I still have that project and tried the same bounce in 9.13 and it didn't work either. This was a simple project of just sampled piano (Kontakt) and vocal, and in all cases the piano cut out about 45 seconds to one minute in, although the exact point was variable.

However, it is easy to open 9.13 projects within 9.02, and 9.02 works reliably, so I trying to work within 9.13 and then bounce in 9.02 if necessary. Curiously enough, most projects initiated in 9.13 seems to bounce OK. And also curiously, simple MIDI projects seem to have more problems than projects with more MIDI tracks.

(Mr.) :? KInny Landrum
raromatix

Post by raromatix »

Hi, kinnylandrum

it seems that we´re rocking the same boat & got stucked in the same traffic jam - similar experiences over here. It must be other out there-or? Strange. Well - i`ll adhere to 9.02 until this particulary bug is squashed - if not - i´ll switch permanently and reluctantly to my Logic X…

raromatix - a.k.a. Peter Hansen
:?
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Hi Peter,

FYI I did a project yesterday that involved about 10 MIDI tracks. While only 2 minutes or so long, it bounced flawlessly in 9.13. So I'm holding out hope that 9.13 has solved any problems on projects that were not created earlier. I'll let you know my progress.

But you really don't need to go back to Logic (the most illogical program I have EVER used). Just keep 9.02 on your drive along with 9.13, and if a bounce doesn't work right, bounce it in 9.02. I know it means reloading the project again, as well as having to listen to a bounce all the way through to make sure it bounced correctly. But I don't think it will be subtle. Either all the MIDI will cut out somewhere between 45 seconds and a minute in, or it won't. At least it seems to be that way with me.

Yes I wish MOTU would acknowledge the problem and fix it, but maybe they have for new projects and we just don't know it yet.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

"Press D" to check RAM? Can you expand on that? I've never heard of that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:"Press D" to check RAM? Can you expand on that? I've never heard of that.
I believe that would be "Option D" on startup to invoke the Internet hardware test.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:"Press D" to check RAM? Can you expand on that? I've never heard of that.
I believe that would be "Option D" on startup to invoke the Internet hardware test.
Only if doing that over the internet. Hold D on startup to force the internal diagnostics.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Starting up holding D makes it look like is like OS 8 has taken over your Mac. Little spinning globes, fake 3D panels, it all escaped the change to the X look and feel, I half expected a somersaulting dogcow.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
raromatix

Post by raromatix »

Dear mr. kinnylandrum

Yes, keeping the both version may be a acceptable temporary workaround for some weeks or two. I have already done some unbouncyble works using this special solution. I´m still into my theory that´s the files produced by 9.13 - after the Next-gen Pre-gen™ thing happened - gradually became corrupted in some ways or other.
i agree to a certain point that my dear ol´ german Logic is somewhat quirky and maybe even ”illogic” In fact realized that long time ago ever since i helped some logicguys, logicgals and logigcats oiling up some hinges, knobs & bolts during the years and even producing a record using Windows and Logic! (I´m also quite used to Pro Tools as well…. I usually wrote my scores using Sibelius but got a lot of old Finale scores as well - a software multilingualist - but always stick to ”my” dear ol´DP.) Anyway… may the force be with MOTU!
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Peter,

Did another round of bounces in 9.13 on other projects begun on 9.02 and they all worked. So I don't know what the story is, maybe it's gone away. Anyway, like you, I'll keep 9.02 around in case I have any bouncing issues. Nice to know you can go back and forth between the two versions and have no issues, as far as I can tell.

Kinny