Bouncing problems Dp 9.13

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Bouncing problems Dp 9.13

Post by Michael Canavan »

raromatix wrote: i agree to a certain point that my dear ol´ german Logic is somewhat quirky and maybe even ”illogic” In fact realized that long time ago ever since i helped some logicguys, logicgals and logigcats oiling up some hinges, knobs & bolts during the years and even producing a record using Windows and Logic!
Always wonder about this. I don't find Logic to be that illogical. Mostly Emagic left the guts exposed, and asked the end user to go in there every once in a while, i.e. attaching arpeggiators etc. But when it comes to features of the Arrange page like looping and cycling I would even say that Logic is less illogical than DP. I haven't used LogicX though, left it at version 8.

DP trounces other programs with it's editing features for the most part though.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
raromatix

Post by raromatix »

Dear mr. kinnylandrum
Well, well...Brendan of Motu have no answer and consequently no solution to this particular problem but suspect (or at least gave a hint) that the pre-gen (as i myself suspeced in the first place) causing the problem while using external drives. (Since my internal ssd only got some poor 256 gb, i had to rely heavily on external drives - i my case a Thunderbolt drive) The problem is particularly interesting and annoying since it appears after several success bounce procedures - i.e. the project gradually ”rots” or get ”infected” especially while working on huge files like mine in the environment of 9.13 (but not 9.02!). The pre-gen thing is so far i understand intended for internal drives only and i sensed that nor Brendan or Motu regarded that special problem as a bug or shortcoming and therefore it never will be fixed.
Peter
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

raromatix wrote: The pre-gen thing is so far i understand intended for internal drives only and i sensed that nor Brendan or Motu regarded that special problem as a bug or shortcoming and therefore it never will be fixed.
Peter
That definitely would be a shortcoming if not a bug. I use an external FW800 for audio, and haven't had any of the pre-gen problems cited here with 9.13. But a pre-gen only works with internal drives its a problem if Apple continues with the modular approach.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
1280bregs

Post by 1280bregs »

Hi Raromatix,

When it comes to sample based VIs, it is simply not true that pre-gen works only when the audio samples are stored on internal drives. Remember that pre-gen isn't just for sample based VIs. Pre-gen will render any audio file, plug-in, soft synth or sample based VI pre-real time. I'm wondering where you are getting this information from? Your issue is likely related to a drive problem or the VI.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I suspect the meaning of "uses internal drives" is that it renders the temporary freeze track to the boot drive and if your boot drive is almost full performance suffers or pregen doesn't work right.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

raromatix wrote:Dear mr. kinnylandrum
Well, well...Brendan of Motu have no answer and consequently no solution to this particular problem but suspect (or at least gave a hint) that the pre-gen (as i myself suspeced in the first place) causing the problem while using external drives. (Since my internal ssd only got some poor 256 gb, i had to rely heavily on external drives - i my case a Thunderbolt drive) The problem is particularly interesting and annoying since it appears after several success bounce procedures - i.e. the project gradually ”rots” or get ”infected” especially while working on huge files like mine in the environment of 9.13 (but not 9.02!). The pre-gen thing is so far i understand intended for internal drives only and i sensed that nor Brendan or Motu regarded that special problem as a bug or shortcoming and therefore it never will be fixed.
Peter
Well Peter, it is true that, for whatever reason, my problems have been with simple files, not complex. But if it's a problem with external drive, that could present problems for me down the line.

Right now, all the drives I'm using are internal, but I'm on a 6 year old Mac Pro with 4 internal spinners, and when I update to something with SSDs, I will absolutely have to use external drives, and I hope that doesn't present more problems.

I don't believe MOTU has any kind of handle on this at all. I just hope it's not ongoing.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Kurt Cowling wrote:I suspect the meaning of "uses internal drives" is that it renders the temporary freeze track to the boot drive and if your boot drive is almost full performance suffers or pregen doesn't work right.
To the drive? Not to RAM?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

kinnylandrum wrote:To the drive? Not to RAM?
Well, I haven't been able to find an answer to that question either way in any of the DP documentation. I assumed it writes invisible files to the boot drive rather than using RAM since it comes into play for heavy VI use and that also needs lots of RAM.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
magnas

Post by magnas »

I solved the problem following MOTU instructions (https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... 20Glitches).

I'm using DP 9.52. A really easy project.. a Omnisphere Keyscape Piano track, a mono click track and a stereo wav track. Ok, with several tempo change, but a really easy project.

I was not able to bounce... I temporary solved freezing the track.

I opened the project in safe mode, and I tried to use a DP plugin for my piano track, but same problem... the bounce started really slow (like always) but after some minutes bounced, increased the speed... and I understood that this meaning that DP was bouncing an empty track.

But reading the link in the MOTU website, I solved making a new empty project, and with File->Load I loaded my bugged project... and... surprise!

Everything back working great!
MacBook Pro 15" i9 2.4 Ghz, 32 GB ram, 2 TB HD - OsX 10.14.5
MacBook Pro Retina Display 15" i7 2.3 Ghz, 16 GB ram, 1 TB HD - OsX 10.11.5
Motu 828 MK3 - Motu UltraLite - DP 9.52 - Roland UA-1000 - Presonus Audiobox 44 - Yamaha Monitor HS50 + Sub HS10W - Yamaha NS-10M + Yamaha P2040 - Soundcraft Signature 22 mtk
Steinway & Sons mod. C - Fender Rhodes Mark1 1974 - Yamaha CP70 - Roland V-Combo - Korg M3 expanded - Roland Fantom G8