Input Monitoring seems to have stopped working

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
cleamon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Input Monitoring seems to have stopped working

Post by cleamon »

I've been away from DP for a while (sorry), but have returned.
I know this used to work, but now doesn't -- with new projects or old ones that used this technique.

In a nutshell, I direct all tracks' output to a buss (i.e. "bus 3-4"), then add an audio track with its input set to that same buss and its output to "main 1-2", turn on "input" to monitor. Worked like a charm. Now it doesn't. I must have made a change in preferences, but can't seem to remember what.

Can anyone suggest what's wrong with my setup?

Thanks
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
buzzsmith

Re: Input Monitoring seems to have stopped working

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm away from my Mac right this minute so I'm going from memory.

I'm pretty sure that you might need to bus to an AUX track and have the aux track's input and output set correctly.

My system is a little different in that I actually send all tracks' outputs to Analog 15-16 which is hard wired (through the 24I/O) to return on Analog 7-8.

So, all my tracks (including the Master) have as their outputs 15-16.

My "Mix" track has its input set to 7-8.

Works fine.

In your case, you should hear something if you bypass the bussing and set each tracks output to Main 1-2, right?

On my first cup of coffee and studio is not up and running, so I may come back and edit this!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

NOTE: I WAS TYPING MY RESPONSE WHILE BUZZY'S REPLY CAME THROUGH. I'M LEAVING THE REDUNDANT INFO FOR EMPHASIS.

I do the exact same thing (I even use "bus 3 & 4" commonly). (EDIT: an aux track might be a workaround for your particular situation, but it should work equally well with a "mixdown track")

Make sure the destination audio track is Play Enabled and the Monitor icon is enabled for that track (the little speaker-like icon in MON column).

Make sure you have a working output- so just route a track directly to your main outs-- just to test. Look at your mixer window and see what the meters are telling you.

If you have any inserts on the destination track, make sure they are all working (no silent insert plugs).

Go to your SETUP menu, and Hardware Settings..., you can try loading a different driver, then reloading your main driver again.

OK, and the final bit of advice is from personal experience. I had a project where a bus just went silent on me. No explanation, no fix. The only solution was to start a new project, and import all the chunks from my current project into that. This worked fine, no lost effort.

Let us know what you figure out. Good luck!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Thanks for the input.
* Yes, I can bypass the aux/audio track(s) and go directly to the output (main 1-2) and hear everything fine. i.e. I have a working output device
* Yes, I can setup an aux and it works as usual. But that's not my problem.
* The "mix" audio track is play enabled and monitor set to on.
* I've tried a different bus assignment, no joy.
* deleted all my preferences files, no joy.
* tested with a REAL input from the 828mkii, it works as it should
* no plug-ins on the destination track
* no meter activity on the destination track
If I check record, it records fine (no meter activity though) and playback is fine. I just can't see/hear anything with "input" enabled.
The "input" button should enable you to hear whatever is being sent to it's input bus when enabled and what is recorded when disabled, whether that's an internal source, or external. It's only working with external. IT USED TO WORK always.
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Ok, this is just weird. Nothing seemed to work....until, I went into hardware setup and selected Aggregate [motu828 [channels 1-22] + sound flower [channels 23-86] ). Now it works as expected, but the weird thing is that the project uses NO soundflower channels. When I set it back to just motu828, it stops working again.
[update]
I've also setup the hardware to use just the internal sound card, and that works! Sounds like sh!t, but works.
The only setup that doesn't work is using the motu828 alone.
Chuck
cleamon

Re: Input Monitoring stopped working (no support from motu)

Post by cleamon »

Posted a techlink on motu. They neither confirm nor deny a problem, only to say DP8 is not supported on os/x 10.11 Sadly, after all these years using and defending DP, it's time to start shopping. I guess as long as I can keep it working with the aggregated device, I'll stay happy.
Chuck