Setting up EWQL Symphonic Choirs + Wordbuilder in DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
revi
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Setting up EWQL Symphonic Choirs + Wordbuilder in DP

Post by revi »

Hello,

Preemptive apologies if this is obvious but I'm flummoxed regarding using EWQL Wordbuilder in conjunction with Symphonic Choirs in DP. EWQL has great videos on phrase editing but I can't seem to find anything on "how to get the various software things to talk with each other".

My naive guess is that it would have been something ala:

MIDI keybd -> DP -> Wordbuilder -> Symphonic Choirs

I've gotten the rough gist that Wordbuilder sort of "intercepts" MIDI messages directed to Symphonic Choirs and, presumably, takes the note information and maps it appropriately to the various "VOTOX" elements. That makes sense.

I've found in DP's tracks window where one can assign a MIDI output to Wordbuilder and also in Wordbuilder where one can assign MIDI ins and outs (e.g., on the left-hand side in the "Voice" section - in the EWQL video, it appears that there's a port mapping from Logic to "IN" and a mapping to the "virtual" Wordbuilder output for "OUT").

I just can't seem to get the text in Wordbuilder to "trigger". In the EWQL videos, no mention (that I'm aware of) is made of how you connect things.

Namely, in the main tracks window in DP, I've got a VI with Play loaded with Symphonic Choirs and I can trigger it via a keyboard when I assign the output of the keyboard directly to Play (interestingly, in contrast to typical synth patches, the "phoneme" sung by the voices seem to "change" each time I press a key). When I assign the output of the keyboard to Wordbuilder, I can see the "MIDI connector icon" in Wordbuilder "flicker" when I play the keyboard but no sound is produced.

Cutting to the chase, here are more-or-less specific questions:

1.) Is there a need to configure something in "Setup > Interapplication MIDI" in DP?

2.) Can one, in fact, actually even play on the keyboard and get Wordbuilder to respond or do you need a "track" with note data played back? This would seem bizarre but I figured I'd ask it.

3.) I can't find any way to instantiate Wordbuilder "inside" DP per se, so I've got the Wordbuilder application open and am trying to get it to connect with the aforementioned instance of the Play VI loaded with Symphonic Choirs loaded in DP.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

Best,

Iver
revi

Re: Setting up EWQL Symphonic Choirs + Wordbuilder in DP

Post by revi »

I think I got it - upshot is that one should not use the external/standalone Wordbuilder app. Mea culpa!
FMiguelez

Re: Setting up EWQL Symphonic Choirs + Wordbuilder in DP

Post by FMiguelez »

Please let us know if you like it.
It's been on my to-upgrade-soon list for a while.

I have an ancient version, and it was fine for what it was and for the time. Is it any more realistic now?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman