Radical variations in performance

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
LittleJJ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Radical variations in performance

Post by LittleJJ »

Sometimes I can run 30 tracks with 60 or more plugins, 4-6 VIs, etc just fine. Sometimes a few stereo tracks with no plugins will pin the Processing meter.
I was recently having problems playing back a rather simple project. THe project had been around for a while and suddenly--for no apparent reason---- started pinning the Processing meter and stuttering. I printed the VI tracks: no help; printed tracks to remove plugins: no help; finally got the project down to about 10 tracks with no plugins: no help. I merged all soundbites, NOTHING helped. SO I decided to assume there was a corrupt audio file on a hunch. Deleted one track from the project, no improvement. Deleted another track, BINGO problem completely solved, Processing reporting about 5% usage at most. BUt get this! I created a new track and dragged the soundbite back in and everything was fine. SO it was NOT the audio file (soundbite) that was causing the problem, but the track itself, which is actually nothing but a visual representation in the GUI of an edit decision list. It makes NO sense whatsoever but the facts are exactly as stated. Anyone have a similar experience or a theory? THANKS
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
A half million guitars and 10 million stompboxes
Tubes
Electricity
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Radical variations in performance

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would first suspect a SYSEX message(s) got into the track, but other than that, I got nothin'
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Based on what you report, not a clue. We don't even know what version of DP or the OS.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
LittleJJ

Post by LittleJJ »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:I would first suspect a SYSEX message(s) got into the track, but other than that, I got nothin'
I can't imagine how a SYSEX message would get into an audio track
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
Tubes
Electricity
LittleJJ

Post by LittleJJ »

Yosemite, last. DP 9.1, latest. 12-core 3.46GHz Mac with 64GB RAM, SSDs, APOLLO interface...
2023 M1 Ultra (yay!)
Apollo interface
A few thousand plugs
Tubes
Electricity