SSD On Boot Drive

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tommymandel
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SSD On Boot Drive

Post by tommymandel »

On my 2012 MacPro tower, my boot drive is a big spinner, and there are 2 other smaller SSD drives, one for VI libraries and the other for Audio Files. So far, so good.

On my 2011 MacbookPro, there's just one 2TB SSD, and, though I've not had this configuration for long, and don't tax it with tons of audio tracks, it's been working fine.

I realize this info is not all that relevant to many orchestrators here, who do ask a whole lot more of their DP rig. I don't mean to waste anyone's time; but it may be useful knowledge to some.

And thanks Mike, HL, James and FM - love this place.
DP 11.03 12core(5,1): 64GB/10.13.6, two 24i/o's, two 2408mk3's, 4pre, MicroLite-- MBP 2015 16GB/ 2TB 'Blade SSD 10.14.4, Mainstage, Numa C2x, ReMOTE SL -- SupDrmr, 32 Lives, SampleTron,Keyscape,MTronPro,RolCloud,Icarus,Dune,OB-E; Clearmountain Domain,Soundtoys,AdrenaLinnSync, LinnSequencers,Tempest, Montage, JU80, Sledge, Prophet-X, OB-6 V-Synth, s70xs, D-50, TS-10, JD800, Karma, Pa-1x B3, Wurly, Mason Hamlin.
Hardware rig: http://www.tommymandel.com/famous.html/tmrig.html"
KenNickels

Post by KenNickels »

My 2012 Mac Pro will arrive Monday and when it's up and running I'll see how it fares compared to the 2008 model. Off the topic of SSD's for a moment to ask a general performance question. Has anyone ever found that problems with audio rendering, i.e., clicks, dropouts and other weird stuff were due to the audio interface itself?
My Box(s): Two Mac Pros 5,1/3Ghz, 12 core, 96GB Ram, OS 10.14.6, One Windows 10 computer, Vienna Ensemble Pro, MOTU Audio Express, DP 10.01, Falcon 3, Eastwest, NOVO Strings, 8Dio Brass, Spitfire,, Symphobia
doodles

Post by doodles »

We switched to SSD's for boot drive (which also has a few sample streaming libraries on it) and SSD's for the actual projects (including recording audio).

The difference is mind-boggling.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

KenNickels wrote:My 2012 Mac Pro will arrive Monday and when it's up and running I'll see how it fares compared to the 2008 model. Off the topic of SSD's for a moment to ask a general performance question. Has anyone ever found that problems with audio rendering, i.e., clicks, dropouts and other weird stuff were due to the audio interface itself?
That can happen due to connection, driver and clocking issues.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro