Old bug in DP's Trim plug-in??? [YES, There's a bug]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Old bug in DP's Trim plug-in??? [YES, There's a bug]

Post by FMiguelez »

Hello.

I am seeing what looks like an old bug... now in another DP plug-in> Trim.

I confirmed this bug in 2 different systems, both DP9.01.

According to the manual, I should be able to link/unlink the pan and gain parameters freely.
Moreover, if unlink the pan pots, and set them to reduce the stereo width, I should be able to link them back and move them, and the proportional setting would be kept.

Well, what happens now is>
-- Unlink pan
-- Set the pan pots to reduce width
-- Link them back... >>>>> BUT the moment I link them, the previous setting is lost, and DP moves them to whatever it likes. So I can't do that function, and it would be nice to have it as intended...

This works correctly for the link/unlink of the Gain parameter, however.

Can anyone else confirm this? I think this time it is a bug and not my foolishness.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Mon May 01, 2017 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Re: Old bug in DP's Trim plug-in???

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm running DP 8.07.

When I unlink pan, I can set either side freely, when I re-link, whatever I set on the Left Side the Right Side snaps to. I can't confirm that this is a bug, as I've not used it in this way before, but I can see why it would be useful.

Gain works as expected.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for testing it, Stubbs.

The linked/unlinked pan should behave like the gain, but not only it doesn't... it dismisses your previous setting as well. So the link function is not working properly.

According to the manual>
DP Manual wrote:Link: (Stereo only) Links the left and right gain controls. If left and right are set to different levels and then Link is engaged, the difference between left and right is maintained when either is changed.
I say it's a bug. MOTU????
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I agree. If the manual says that, then it is certainly not behaving as documented. And if you wanted a certain width, but wanted to "shift the fixed width" that would be quite useful for tweaking a stereo track.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

FMiguelez

Re: Old bug in DP's Trim plug-in??? [YES]

Post by FMiguelez »

I'll report it to MOTU now.
I really need this workng correctly. I mean, come on! It's one of DP's most basic and oldest plugins!

Oh, and BTW, I didn't know one could scale Trim's meters as needed. That is pretty cool!

Tonio

Re: Old bug in DP's Trim plug-in??? [YES, There's a bug]

Post by Tonio »

yup confirm here not working as written on DP9.12 OS10.10.5

Nando are you on v 9.12 or 9.13 ?

edit; doh, I mistakenly noted 9.13 as my v :shake: corrected LOL
Mac Studio MAX 2TB/ 64GB RAM / DP11.2 / 828ES//
MP 5.1 3.33- 3 duo / OS10.14.6 / RX580 /DP10.13/828ES
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Thanks for checking, Tonio.

I'm n 9.02.
I won't touch newer versions until they give me a global option to handle plugins in real time, and until they fix the numerous quirks people seem to be having. My systme is pretty stable now, and I don't want to "fix it" :)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

FMiguelez wrote:I'm n 9.02.
I won't touch newer versions until they give me a global option to handle plugins in real time...
Be prepared for the possibility that you may be permanently stranded on 9.02. For better or worse, I get the feeling that may not be coming back.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

James Steele wrote: Be prepared for the possibility that you may be permanently stranded on 9.02. For better or worse, I get the feeling that may not be coming back.
The thing is, if that is going to be MOTU's new paradigm, then their engine must be perfect and work every time with every plug-in and every Virtual Instrument, especially if there's no longer an option to go back to what we KNEW was working just fine before.
I wish they left the option to run DP either way at least until they perfect the new code.

I trust they will iron out everything eventually-
I'm betting on DP10.05. I trust we all will be awed and see nice little surprises there.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

The topic just went over my head. I'm still in 8.07. What does "Global option to handle plugins in realtime" mean? Did something change in v9? I probably should have followed those thousands of v9 threads more carefully.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:The topic just went over my head. I'm still in 8.07. What does "Global option to handle plugins in realtime" mean? Did something change in v9? I probably should have followed those thousands of v9 threads more carefully.
Up to DP9.02, there was a global preference to run all plug-ins in real time.
But in the newer versions, they took that global option out, and now you must set it to each plugin individually if that's what you prefer (and something about using aux tracks instead).
What I really don't like, is that MOTU is "forcing" us to allow the prerender engine, or whatever it's called, to take total control of the plugins in advance. I also read that a way of avoiding that is to use Aux tracks, but I prefer audio tracks with Input Monitoring engaged.

Warning [rant mode ahead]

A lot of people seem to be having problems related to this. Just take a look at the topics! Lots of issues, bugs and complaints. It looks like these MOTU changes are not ready for prime time yet, and if my assessment is correct, they may be biting something too big to chew in the long run...

Can they really promise that every plug-in and VI will work with their new way? Is it really going to be better? What's the advantage of this, exactly?

Everything was working great, and I can think of at least 15 things that should be much more important and a priority for them to fix or to implement first. To touch on just a few...

- How about coming up with a solution for the MESS that Track Folders and Takes are?

I've written some posts about all this.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62017

- How about finally fixing the multiple issues when pasting or snipping that create unexpected and unwanted CC ramps all over the place?
Doing such operations with tracks with CCs ALWAYS creates a mess with CC ramps that one must babysit and correct manually every time.
I don't know of ANY other DAW that is so clumsy when dealing with this. They all move, paste and snip perfectly, no matter how much automation there is.
What baffles me is that the algorithm to correct this is SO EASY!!! But it's been YEARS like this with this flaw, like since AT AT LEAST DP4.

- How about finally overhauling QS to a 2017 standard?
DP is marketed as THE Film Scoring app... One whose notation capabilities are a joke.
We don't need anything too fancy, just let us add basic articulations, phrase and dynamic marks and shapes. And clef changes please.

- How about fixing some commands that have never worked for YEARS, like the Find Tempo From MIDI command?

- How many more years will pass by before they correct the issue that Clippings STILL bring all the tracks outside their folders?
I think I've complained about this since 2006.

[/rant mode]

Sorry if my tone seems rude.
I just want DP to be as good as it CAN be, and those things I mentioned would be a very good basic start.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote:The thing is, if that is going to be MOTU's new paradigm, then their engine must be perfect and work every time with every plug-in and every Virtual Instrument ...
We are discussing software. They will come as close as they can but perfection is unlikely.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I prefer to have plugins and VI's default to realtime. That's useful.

I always want to hear the notes I click & drag in the MIDI Graphic Editor.

As for your rant, I share many of those gripes. And I have my own list as well. But that for another thread.

I can sympathize with any developer who is having to prioritize their development resources-- to appeal to new users, satisfy current users, and keep up with the cartoonishly stupid pace of Mac OS releases (and other platforms)!

One wonders, with some of these bugs, if they are particularly difficult to solve, or if they just don't warrant the resources to make things work correctly.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Am I the only one who really likes Next Gen Pre Gen? Been using DP since v.4, on several different Macs, and I'm delighted to have a system that is more efficient than ever, without using a myriad of workarounds. Yes, there may be a problem with some plugs, but really, what are they? My primary plugs are Kontakt, Aria, SampleModeling, and even Best Service, and I've yet to run into anything that stops me from getting things done. Things are so efficient that I can't think of a reason to globally disable this function.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:Am I the only one who really likes Next Gen Pre Gen? Been using DP since v.4, on several different Macs, and I'm delighted to have a system that is more efficient than ever, without using a myriad of workarounds. Yes, there may be a problem with some plugs, but really, what are they? My primary plugs are Kontakt, Aria, SampleModeling, and even Best Service, and I've yet to run into anything that stops me from getting things done. Things are so efficient that I can't think of a reason to globally disable this function.
Put your head down and prepare to be swarmed! :mrgreen:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!