Wild CPU spikes with DP 9.13 and 9.12

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ccjones87
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wild CPU spikes with DP 9.13 and 9.12

Post by ccjones87 »

HI all. I'm having a big issue with a project. It's been smooth sailing with 9.12 until today. Suddenly I started getting CPU spikes when I would so much as click any window in the session. Session has about 100 audio tracks (mixes/stems for a documentary that I'm conforming). The session was working perfectly up until about 45 minutes ago when it inexplicably became unusable.
I tried the update to 9.13, trashed prefs, deleted unused soundbites, got rid of track folders, reset my machine, reset PRAM, loaded the file in the "load "function, all to no avail. I'm trying to load the session as a clipping now to another drive and will update after that. If that doesn't solve it I don't know what will. I'm on a deadline and would greatly appreciate any further advice!

EDIT: loading as a clipping on another drive seems to have taken care of the issue for now. I just wonder if there's some way to make use of the OG session?
DP 9.5 OSX 10.10.5 Late 2011 Apple iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB memory 1333MHz DDR3
Michael Canavan

Re: Wild CPU spikes with DP 9.13 and 9.12

Post by Michael Canavan »

ccjones87 wrote: EDIT: loading as a clipping on another drive seems to have taken care of the issue for now. I just wonder if there's some way to make use of the OG session?
Buffer of 2048? That's the first thing I would try anyway. Along with all the other tricks you ran...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
ccjones87

Post by ccjones87 »

Thank you Michael. Didn't think to try that! Must have been stressing. In the end, exporting the session as a clipping and dumping it into an empty session dud the trick.
DP 9.5 OSX 10.10.5 Late 2011 Apple iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB memory 1333MHz DDR3
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Creating a new project in 9.13 and then loading an older problematic project into it (using the "Load"
command) seems to be helping a lot of users. I know it's helped me.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Splinter »

Same problem here, guys. I've been running 9.12 on my MBP's internal drive for months without problems, then I plugged in my Thunderbolt and FW drives and all hell broke loose. Updated everything, MAS driver, DP software (9.13), system (10.12.6), plugs, etc, but no luck. It can be very intermittent. It's strange that it's not just the CPU but playback as well. I'll try some of these workarounds, but I suspect it has to do with the hard drives since this current project was created in 9.12. I'll try losing the external drives and see if that helps, but that won't work since I need all my samples. MOTU needs to fix this!
MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49