Timeline

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Relative
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Timeline

Post by Relative »

Hi, everybody,

Just upgraded from DP 3, which I have been using and loving since 2001 in os9, to DP 9 OS 10 El Capitan. Most of the changes are PHENOMENAL, but, one kinda irks me a bit. In DP 3 there was a horizontal timeline in the transport control section, along with all the other buttons, where you could click anywhere on it and go to that corresponding point in the song immediately, like the timeline under Youtube videos.

Why take that away? I know you can go to the tracks or sequence window and use a similar thing, but, if I'm in the mixing board window, I'd prefer not to, so, I just have to move the time numbers around to where I want them or use markers.

Speaking with MOTU about this, they said no-one has complained about this, that it didn't bother him or anyone he knew.

I used that little function all the time and miss it.

Anyone else here care about this?

It's funny how things change.

Anyway, I just love MOTU and also upgraded from the 1296 to the 16a. AMAZING!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Timeline

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I never noticed the change so ti doesn't bother me. I work to picture a lot and the movie window has the timeline, which I do use occasionally, but given that you can pretty much SEE everything and quickly change zooming levels, etc, I don't see the value of duplicating the timeline button thing in the transport. It's just one more thing for the CPU to deal with and essentially is duplicated in every window with data.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

You can jump to markers in the transport ( right hand side dropdown, at least in DP 7.24 )
:mrgreen:

Klaus
Relative wrote:Hi, everybody,

Just upgraded from DP 3, which I have been using and loving since 2001 in os9, to DP 9 OS 10 El Capitan. Most of the changes are PHENOMENAL, but, one kinda irks me a bit. In DP 3 there was a horizontal timeline in the transport control section, along with all the other buttons, where you could click anywhere on it and go to that corresponding point in the song immediately, like the timeline under Youtube videos.

Why take that away? I know you can go to the tracks or sequence window and use a similar thing, but, if I'm in the mixing board window, I'd prefer not to, so, I just have to move the time numbers around to where I want them or use markers.

Speaking with MOTU about this, they said no-one has complained about this, that it didn't bother him or anyone he knew.

I used that little function all the time and miss it.

Anyone else here care about this?

It's funny how things change.

Anyway, I just love MOTU and also upgraded from the 1296 to the 16a. AMAZING!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Relative wrote:In DP 3 there was a horizontal timeline in the transport control section, along with all the other buttons, where you could click anywhere on it and go to that corresponding point in the song
Yes, a number of other DAWs do that too, and it was handy to have.

For a visual display, use a consolidated window and have a Tracks panel at the top zoomed out so the whole sequence shows. You can select tracks that show and reduce their height so it appears as a sequence overview a la Cubase. You can click in the the time line on that display.

When you are trying to minimize use of the mouse, and don't have to rely on a visual overview, you can hit the dot on the numeric keypad and enter a bar number, or use the many "Go ..." key command shortcuts to move around the timeline by bar, marker, or memory locations.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8