Reassigning commands in Commands window issues

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Reassigning commands in Commands window issues

Post by philbrown »

All I want to do is assign Memory Rewind (the leftmost memory button) to numeric keypad 7 and Set Memory Start To Counter to numeric keypad 8.

Main issue: when I hit 8 it not only sets the memory start to counter (as intended) it also turns on Memory Cycle. Normally this is a simple double-assignment but DP is not telling me that (it usually has a warning and lists the duplicates). I removed whatever duplicate commands were listed (step record I think, which I don’t use) but the problem persists.

Issue 2: So I scrolled and scrolled and scrolled through the commands and I cannot find numeric keypad 8 assigned to anything else. I also searched the commands window for “cycle” to find the Memory Cycle command and nothing like that comes up, just some completely unrelated functions. Which leads me to

Issue 3: In the course of this I keep seeing conflicts between what the rollover tip names are and what the Commands window is calling the exact same function. Really confusing and annoying. DP is calling the third button from the left “Memory Cycle” when you rollover it, but I can’t find any such command (a major function that should be listed) in any kind of search for “Memory” or “Cycle” in the Commands window.

Am I missing something or is this a bug?
Any help appreciated.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Re: Reassigning commands in Commands window issues

Post by bayswater »

I've always been confused about how the various combinations of the memory buttons and key commands for memory and cycle work together. I managed to get key commands that do what I want and just left it at that.

Is it possible that the buttons in the console do not have a one to one correspondence to key commands? E.g. does the Memory Cycle button correspond to a specific combination of the Cycle On/Off command and the Memory On/Off command? So, there is no Memory Cycle entry in the Commands window because it is not a command?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:I've always been confused about how the various combinations of the memory buttons and key commands for memory and cycle work together. I managed to get key commands that do what I want and just left it at that.

Is it possible that the buttons in the console do not have a one to one correspondence to key commands? E.g. does the Memory Cycle button correspond to a specific combination of the Cycle On/Off command and the Memory On/Off command? So, there is no Memory Cycle entry in the Commands window because it is not a command?
Those are the perfect questions, Bays and I was kind of trying to look at it that way but I couldn't come to any conclusions. Since I posted I found out something else and this may be a clue. If the Memory Rewind is already turned on then the 8 works as expected, just setting the memory start time and NOT turning on the Memory Cycle. If the Memory Rewind is turned OFF then the 8 sets the start time as expected but also turns on the Memory Cycle. I have no idea what to make of that but maybe someone here will. Seems buggy but could easily just be a nomenclature issue. This is probably unrelated but while searchng I noticed another command in the Commands window that just says "Memory On/Off' or something like that. I was thinking "now what would that do?"
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

This is why programs like Keyboard maestro and Quickeys R.I.P. exist. Even
hard wired" keys can be overridden before they have their way with your "keypad" (which is code... LOL).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This is why programs like Keyboard maestro and Quickeys R.I.P. exist. Even
hard wired" keys can be overridden before they have their way with your "keypad" (which is code... LOL).
I used QK a lot back in OS 9. Is KM the dealio now?

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

philbrown wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:This is why programs like Keyboard maestro and Quickeys R.I.P. exist. Even
I used QK a lot back in OS 9. Is KM the dealio now?
I did a lot of research and Maestro was the only realistic alternative to QK.

It's a very good app with a convoluted GUI (IMO) but once you get used to the mindset of the programmers, it makes enough sense to work. It's essential for my scoring work in Finale and helpful in a lot of other ways. It does forget to load at startup occasionally, but that's easy to remedy and it's not that often. I'll continue to support them and would certainly buy QKeys again if it came back. Not looking good that way...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

philbrown wrote:
bayswater wrote:This is probably unrelated but while searchng I noticed another command in the Commands window that just says "Memory On/Off' or something like that. I was thinking "now what would that do?"
That's what I was getting at. That command corresponds to the 8 on the numeric keypad. So those keys correspond to key commands, but the buttons in the control panel may or may not. One or more of them seem to be macros. One night I might stay up late and try all the combinations and see the underlying logic.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote: That's what I was getting at. That command corresponds to the 8 on the numeric keypad. So those keys correspond to key commands, but the buttons in the control panel may or may not. One or more of them seem to be macros. One night I might stay up late and try all the combinations and see the underlying logic.
It took a couple of reads, but I see what you're saying. It's kind of a confusing mess IMO. There are such super-esoteric commands in the Commands window list "Does anyone ever use this???" and then something as simple and widely-used as memory commands are riddles wrapped in conundrums.