Tip to avoid processor spikes in DP 9.13

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tip to avoid processor spikes in DP 9.13

Post by David Polich »

I may have stumbled onto a workaround to fix processor spikes and overload in DP 9.13.

In a nutshell, here it is - If you open a project in 9.13 that was previously a 9.02 (or earlier) project,
try removing ALL plugins and then re-instantiating them. Before you do this, you may want to save each plug-ins settings as a preset so you can recall it again.

I have a project started in 9.02 with 12 instances of Amplitube 4, five instances of S-gear 2, 3 instances of Slate VerbSuiteClassics, and ten instances of Slate Virtual Mix Rack. With the plugs unchanged from the older project, I was getting horendous processor spikes and sluggish performance and stuttering
immediately on playback. So I tried removing all my instances of Amplitube 4. Big improvement - processor spikes went down. Tried next removing every plug-in - even bigger performance improvement. Added the plug-ins back, this time making sure I checked "Run Open Instances of this Plug-in in Real-Time" for the guitar amp plug-ins. Processor usage was a little bit increased, but no spikes.

This leads me to believe that if one does not remove "old" instances of plugs and thgen add them back, 9.13 struggles to manage "old code" leftover from the previous version of the project. Or something like that, anyway. Whatever the actual reason behind it, I am definitely noticing improvement in performance by removing and then adding back all plugs from a project that was previously running in an earlier version of DP.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
buzzsmith

Re: Tip to avoid processor spikes in DP 9.13

Post by buzzsmith »

Following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Very handy post - thanks a lot for sharing your findings!

I'll have to check whether this applies to the Windows version or not.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Following as well. Would this also apply to VIs that reside in VE pro instances that are stored in a V Rack? Me thinks it time to rebuild my template from scratch. Ugh.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
rob fetters

Post by rob fetters »

Although I don't use Amplitude or S Gear plugs, I had so much stuttering and spiking (with 9.02) using multiple instances of Slate VerbSuite I stopped using it. Slate tech support couldn't figure it out, either, so I think the problem is with DP. Or rather, my failure to run DP correctly.
Re: "Tip" – Going through every on-going project and saving every plug-in preset, then re-installing sounds nightmarish; perhaps MOTU tech could weigh in on this, first?
DP 10.13 / OSX 10.14.6
MacPro 3.33 6-Core w/SSD, 32G RAM. Metric Halo I/O. (...using MH Console as a summing mixer.)
VIs / plug-ins include NI Komplete, VSL, Slate, Sound Toys, Voxengo, Kush, Eventide, Oeksound, Izotope.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I dont use VE Pro or even V-racks so I dont know.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

rob fetters wrote:Although I don't use Amplitude or S Gear plugs, I had so much stuttering and spiking (with 9.02) using multiple instances of Slate VerbSuite I stopped using it. Slate tech support couldn't figure it out, either, so I think the problem is with DP. Or rather, my failure to run DP correctly.
Re: "Tip" – Going through every on-going project and saving every plug-in preset, then re-installing sounds nightmarish; perhaps MOTU tech could weigh in on this, first?
I only know that this solution is working on MY system.
Might or might not work for other folks..
rob fetters

Post by rob fetters »

While I'm at it: one oddity for me was that spikes/stuttering always happened at the same part of the song I was mixing – as if pressure was building during certain measures. Nothing special going on with automation or anything I could discern. Was your experience anything like that, David?
DP 10.13 / OSX 10.14.6
MacPro 3.33 6-Core w/SSD, 32G RAM. Metric Halo I/O. (...using MH Console as a summing mixer.)
VIs / plug-ins include NI Komplete, VSL, Slate, Sound Toys, Voxengo, Kush, Eventide, Oeksound, Izotope.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I'm wondering if it's some oddity with saved plug in states between versions? Since part of the process is saving the settings of the plug in as a preset? Seems like it could be part of the the problem?

Another test to do for people with this problem would be to change plug in configurations in plug in settings, see if running the plug in tests again solves the issue? as it's going to re-instantiate all your plug ins when you do this.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

rob fetters wrote:While I'm at it: one oddity for me was that spikes/stuttering always happened at the same part of the song I was mixing – as if pressure was building during certain measures. Nothing special going on with automation or anything I could discern. Was your experience anything like that, David?
This pretty much describes my issues. Same project/template does fine in DP 8, 9.02 but fails miserably in the next gen DP updates.

|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

rob fetters wrote:While I'm at it: one oddity for me was that spikes/stuttering always happened at the same part of the song I was mixing – as if pressure was building during certain measures. Nothing special going on with automation or anything I could discern. Was your experience anything like that, David?
Exactly like that. Just certain sections of certain projects, where mutliple instances of CPU-gobbling plugs "engage" simultaneously.

To follow up...the projects that give me the biggest headaches are ones with a lot of instances of
Amplitube 4. Amplitube 4 is a CPU-hungry plugin, and I honestly think it doesn't play nice with DP 9.13's Next gen Pre-Gen. Just doesn't. Might be time for a tech email to iK Multimedia..meanwhile, I am freezing these tracks and that is really dialing down the spiking.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Ok.....I am happy as ••••!!!!! Yes!!! I figured out my own work around by simply loading previous projects into a new 9.1.3 project. All my issues are gone. 9.1.2 as well as 9.1.3 simply did not like my template or previous projects created in 9.0 or even DP 8. All is good! Time to shake up a cold one! ;-)

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Martini Hill wrote:Ok.....I am happy as ••••!!!!! Yes!!! I figured out my own work around by simply loading previous projects into a new 9.1.3 project. All my issues are gone. 9.1.2 as well as 9.1.3 simply did not like my template or previous projects created in 9.0 or even DP 8. All is good! Time to shake up a cold one! ;-)

I recall somewhere back between DP 6 and 8 when rebuilding your basic template and loading chunks made all the difference and eliminated some of the stickiest issues of the time.

It's nice that going back to 9.02 is easy enough, although I always have to reset the Tracks List window preferences which is annoying. For all the transitioning hassles and squabbles, it really must be said that 9.02 has been extremely stable and at least for me has maybe been the best DP yet. So there's that.

So time for some new templates, I guess, although I was just getting to really like the ones I'd recently created LOL. And might as well jump to Sierra as well, although I've been very happy with Yosemite. Every now and then it makes sense to reboot.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

Yah, I was very reticent about rebuilding my template until I started loading my projects into a new stripped down 9.1.3 project. All good now.