Avid/Euphonix Mix & Control - Not great with DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tim Ripley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Tim Ripley »

For those of you contemplating these controllers and using them with DP, here is what you will experience. Don't expect to be able to edit plugins on them. The mouse will be WAY faster.

No matter which effects insert you try to open, these controllers will only open insert a. When you exit, the plugin window will not close. You will have to do that manually with the mouse.

But that's not all.

If you attempt to open any insert other than a, the plugin on insert a will open on screen and, when you begin to change a parameter, the one that you are actually editing will suddenly appear in front of the plugin on insert a. You now have two plugins open that will need to be manually closed with the mouse. By the time the plugin you are actually editing appears on the screen, you will have already changed a parameter by some unknown amount because twisting a knob is the only way to get it to appear on the screen. Additionally, the parameter reading will not update on the controller until you exit and reopen the plugin. (That is to say, the display on the controller will not animate as you change the parameters) This is not a big deal as it updates on the computer screen which is probably what you are watching anyway.

MOTU is aware of this and has reproduced it on their end. These problems have persisted through 3 updates of Performer and Eucon, and nothing has changed. (as long as I've owned the controllers) They probably never worked. The most frustrating part of this is that MOTU actually pictures these same controllers on their website as compatible with DP.

Has anyone out there gotten these controllers to work for editing plugins?

These controllers work perfectly with Pro Tools.
Timothy Ripley
Composer, engineer, musician

Ripcurrentmedia.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Moterey 12.6.1, Pro Tools 22.12.0.326
Lots of WAVES Plugins, Yamaha DM2000VCM Console
Digital Performer 10.13, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt)
MOTU MTP AV (USB), a bunch of hardware synths, mic preamps, & outboard FX
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tim Ripley wrote:These controllers work perfectly with Pro Tools.
What company has owned these controllers for a while? Oh, right... Avid. [WINKING FACE]
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tim Ripley

Re: Avid/Euphonix Mix & Control - Not great with DP

Post by Tim Ripley »

Haha... Yep.
Timothy Ripley
Composer, engineer, musician

Ripcurrentmedia.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Moterey 12.6.1, Pro Tools 22.12.0.326
Lots of WAVES Plugins, Yamaha DM2000VCM Console
Digital Performer 10.13, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt)
MOTU MTP AV (USB), a bunch of hardware synths, mic preamps, & outboard FX
zejuju
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by zejuju »

I agree!
I have many problems using artist mix with DP9 (whatever update I use).
The main issue is meters doesn't appear on the artist mix (last firmware and eucon installed). I think it's a DP and OS prob.
I tried on friends computer operating Yosemite with DP9 and it worked properly.
The only solution for me is to downgrade to yosemite, or stay in Sierra with DP8...
Anyone have heard of that?
Yes, artist mix must only be fully fonctionnable with Pro tools (sounds strange ;), and either avid or motu will write it down!
But does another control surfave work perfectly with DP? BEhringer Xtouch?
I don't have any experience of that but I doubt.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Kind of OT but maybe some of you with mix controllers can help this guy:

How to prevent external MIDI controller from changing mixer:

viewtopic.php?t=63342
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
CT

Post by CT »

EuCon not working correctly with DP 9,5.

Just been trying out the DP 9.5 demo as I was wanting to upgrade from 8.07.

DP 9,5 does not show the aux send names via EuCon on Artist Mix or Artist Control (Eucontrol v3.6.1).
DP 8.07 Does show the aux send names correctly via EuCon on Artist Mix and Artist Control.

Back to DP 8.07, which works well with my Artist Mix and Control. Pity, I wanted more than 242 tracks....

Anyone else have the same problem with Eucon / 9,5?
2 x 2.8 Quad core Intel Xeon, 10.10.5, 16GB, DP8.07, 828mkII, Ensemble, Waves, Sonnox, iZotope, MachFive3, Kontakt, MC Control, MC Mix, VE Pro5.
Albert Bacardit

Post by Albert Bacardit »

Hi all,

DP 9.5 using an Artist mix with Eucon 3.6.1 here. My computer is a MacBook Pro mid 2014, OS 10.12.5

Same problems: no meters, insert a plugin always opening and no aux names. General stability has improved, though, as I used to have random disconnections with DP 7.24 and Eucon 2.7

However, everything works fine with PT 11.3.1

As for plugin parameter change I use the scroll ring in a Kensington Expert Mouse Wired Trackball, which I have found to be a much more functional solution

Yet, I must say that it's very difficult to get rid of the Artist mix once you get familiarised with it and integrated in your workflow. Everything should be working properly, of course; I just hope MOTU and AVID finally come to terms one of these days.
MacBook Pro 2.2, 16G RAM, OS 10.12.5, DP 9.5, Ultralite, MC Mix, A7s, Guitars, Keyboards, Amps, VIs and Plugins.
sndmarks

Post by sndmarks »

I've had a full set of Euphonix Artist controllers since they were released by Euphonix. Never have they ever played nicely with DP. They'll probably work fine if I ever set up a PT print rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
MacPro Nehalem 8core (2x3.33ghz, 64gb RAM, 10.11, Radeon 5770, NVIDIA GT120), DP 9.12
CT

Post by CT »

I have a Euphonix MC Mix And MC Control. In DP 8,07 the faders, mutes, solos, jog wheel etc all work fine, but the rotary knobs are almost useless. I don`t think its the controllers at fault because they work perfectly in test mode (and apparently with PT).
I love working with the controllers so I`m going to stay with 8.07 until things get sorted...
2 x 2.8 Quad core Intel Xeon, 10.10.5, 16GB, DP8.07, 828mkII, Ensemble, Waves, Sonnox, iZotope, MachFive3, Kontakt, MC Control, MC Mix, VE Pro5.
Blazing Cactus

Post by Blazing Cactus »

I just bought an Avid Artist Mix (8 faders) and my main DAW is Digital Performer 9 v 9.5.
I am so far having 2 problems with it. 1) A channel mapping situation in which Artist mix will read the first channels ex 1 Violins, 2) Violas 3) it does not read and in fact re numbers it and puts it way back on the end patch window to read 124. Then on track 4) Bass, 5) Pizz, and 7) it will again re number and shoot the last page. Obviously, the Artist mix should see and read the channels in consecutive order as I have them on the template I set up. I have spoken with the tech department where I purchased this and they are stumped.

iMac Retina 5 k
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6
Processor 4.2 GHz
RAM 64
Avid Artist Mix
CT

Post by CT »

I expect you`ve done this, but check the EuControl settings in EuControl.