VSTi's windows

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
midiw
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VSTi's windows

Post by midiw »

You would think that i would/should know how but i don't.

Once again i have started to use VSTi's.

The third party VSTi i am using in one of my project compositions is Steinberg's Padshop Pro.

When i apply the VSTi to a MIDI track the Padshop Pro working window is huge.

How do i shrink or hide that window so that i can see the Digital Performer's ( Mac version 9 - macOS Sierra 10.12.4 ) tracks ?

Anticipating your required help please.
Mac OS: Mojave
bayswater

Re: VSTi's windows

Post by bayswater »

I don't know about this particular VI, but there are others that have a window size that cannot be changed. I put them in another OS X desktop.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

In the upper right corner of the open plug in window there's a drop down menu and one of the checkboxes is for making the plug float over DP or not. When it's not a floating window selecting the open consolidated window etc. make the plug in hide behind DP. Command ~ rotates between open application windows to reveal it. Only about half my plug ins have preferences to change the window size.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
midiw

Post by midiw »

bayswater
I put them in another OS X desktop.
Don't know what that means. Does that mean on another monitor ?
Last edited by midiw on Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
midiw

Post by midiw »

Michael Canavan,

With your help i may have found another way of toggling those huge VSTi windows. Or on the other hand i may be doing the way you told me.

When the DP project is in the track state if i click on the " name " of the VSTi in the Track Name column it will make the VSTi go behind and to bring it out front you double click.

Could you give that a try to check/confirm ?
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

midiw wrote:Michael Canavan,

With your help i may have found another way of toggling those huge VSTi windows. Or on the other hand i may be doing the way you told me.

When the DP project is in the track state if i click on the " name " of the VSTi in the Track Name column it will make the VSTi go behind and to bring it out front you double click.

Could you give that a try to check/confirm ?
OK so you're missing something here.
In the upper right of the plug in window itself there's an arrow in a circle, it's a drop down menu.
Clicking the arrow reveals menu with s selection titled "floating". The behavior you describe is because "floating is unchecked, that's good, , you want this behavior.

To call up a plug ins window you double click on the instrument track in the Tracks Window, or the Mixer window. You can click anywhere in DPs windows to get the plug in to hide behind the open window, and you do not need to double click the instrument track to get it to the front, "command ~" works even if you have no edit window opened like Tracks or the Mixer.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
midiw

Post by midiw »

Michael Canavan,

Ahhh, now i've got it.

Thanks again for standing by and helping me thru this what may seem to you a rudimentary problem/solution.

Yours truly, midiw/MisterMagoo