Sustain Pedal MIDI Issue - DP9.12 and Sierra

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sustain Pedal MIDI Issue - DP9.12 and Sierra

Post by HCMarkus »

Re-Posting this with a descriptive Subject Title

Sustain works properly with VIs until one tries to record over pre-existing MIDI data at which time the sustain pedal ceases to function while recording until all pre-recorded MIDI data has been overwritten
  • Set up MIDI track routed to any VI (tested with Ivory, Contact and Omnisphere).
    Record VI such as piano or electric piano using MIDI Controller and sustain pedal.
    While recording, note sustain pedal functions properly; the VI will respond as it should.
    Roll to beginning
    Record again on same track. Note that while recording, until the end of previously recorded data is reached, sustain pedal does not effect the VI while recording.
    On playback, all pedaling is heard properly, despite the fact it could not be heard while recording.
Workaround: Recording on a SEPARATE, EMPTY MIDI track routed to same VI DOES NOT exhibit this issue.

Submitted Tech Note to MOTU. Anybody else encounter this or found a fix? Thanks!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Re: Sustain Pedal MIDI Issue - DP9.12 and Sierra

Post by HCMarkus »

MOTU Tech has suggested a clean DP install. I'll report back with the result.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Now between projects, proceeded with full uninstall, including preferences etc, and reinstalled as instructed by MOTU. Also moved to latest Sierra (macOS 10.12.4).

NO change. Sustain still works properly with VIs until one tries to record over pre-existing MIDI data at which time the sustain pedal ceases to function while recording until all pre-recorded MIDI data has been overwritten.

MOTU, please fix this issue. It is a serious impediment to workflow. Thank you!
HC Markus
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just had a chance to try this out with a piano patch in Kontakt, and was not able to duplicate this. This was an issue in 9.1, and to the best of my knowledge was fixed in 9.12, so I am kind of stumped. How is your event chasing set up?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62125&p=529606&hili ... in#p529606
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yep. I remember this issue and thought it was fixed in 9.12 as well.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I reviewed the referenced thread; while some say 9.12 fixed the problem, at least one or two, like me, still have the issue.
  • I tried with event chasing (everything) on and off. No change.
    I tried using controller "Switches send continuous data" on an off. No change.
    Problem is not limited to specific VIs as far as I can tell; tested with Ivory, Kontakt and Omnisphere.
The issue only persists until the new recording pass gets past the last sustain pedal message that was previously recorded. Once past the all previously recorded sustain messages, everything is fine.

MOTU offered me no more advice than "wait for next update", which will "improve" the situation.

If anyone can offer the silver bullet (other than move back to DP8/9.02 - which I just confirmed do NOT exhibit this problem), I'd love to put this issue to permanent rest. Thanks!

PS: In testing DP8.07 and 9.02, I was reminded that the difference in latency is huge. Thank goodness the alternate track workaround is available.
HC Markus