VEP5 Server Autoloading At -inf and Hard Left Pan

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rk21
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

VEP5 Server Autoloading At -inf and Hard Left Pan

Post by rk21 »

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I tried searching for an answer but couldn't find anything.

Like the post says, if I have VEP Server (64bit) already running on my slave computer, when I boot my session up in DP9 it will auto load the multiple instances in the VEP Server (great!), but then when they all have finished loading, it jumps the volume and pan to -inf and hard left. If I manually load each instance into VEP Server after the DP9 session has loaded, the volume and panning are normal. All VEP are updated to newest version. I've troubleshooted the issue on a brand new session and everything loads fine. So there must be something in my current template that causes the instances to load incorrectly? Where would I find that information DP is sending to VEPro?

Thanks!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: VEP5 Server Autoloading At -inf and Hard Left Pan

Post by labman »

hey there RK. DP9 did indeed break something. (actually 9.12 messed up a bunch of somethings ;) But this bug has been since even earlier DP9. We traced it down to files that had been created with clippings. Anytime we drag in an older clipping to a DP file we se the exact results you are describing. DP9 broke older clippings in a big way. In some cases you error get the cash with dreaded master nil error. MOTU knows about this for quite a while, but regardless, please let them know via tech note.

Were your files created with clippings?
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
rk21

Post by rk21 »

Hi labman,

Thanks for the reply. Turns out I did have a clippings folder (a bunch of effects settings) in my session left over from a DP 6 or 7 session. (I more or less have been using the same session since then and modifying it based on the project).

So is there anything I can do about it then? I went ahead and deleted the clippings folder, reopened the session, and I still have the same results.

Thanks!
doodles

Post by doodles »

WOW. I thought I was the only one with this issue. Was on DP 8.07 and VE Pro 5.

It started happening with various projects (mostly in soundtracks with multiple dp sequences written over a long period of time, as the score got bigger and bigger.) We would relaod VE Pro and that was fine. As soon as DP connected, it would do EXACTLY what you describe. And there was nothing we could do. Grab the volume or pan on VE Pro with DP connected, it would do nothing. It was like we were fighting it. Trashed preferences, reinstalled DP and VE pro. No difference. have just moved the 4 mac slaves onto one huge PC slave, and installed DP 9. Working fine now.

It was a total nightmare.

Let me know if you find out what the issue was.
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

RK the only thing I can suggest is get in touch with MOTU. They have let a few of these things slide for well over a year. I just checked, and I have emails to and from, dated as far back as AUG 2015. Vienna knows about it too, but it 100% on MOTUs end. Alas....
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.