DP 9.1 not playing nice with UAD Apollo Quad

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jschussler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by jschussler »

Two clearly related problems I'm hitting with DP9.1 and the Apollo Quad:

1. On song load, the Apollo will click and stop playing audio. Fix: Go to Hardware setup and reselect the Apollo, click ok, audio comes back.
2. In one particular song, every time I hit a specific spot in the song the same thing will happen: Apollo will click, and audio will stop. Go to Hardware setup, click OK (the Apollo is already selected), and audio comes back. But if you try to play through that spot again, it craps out again, so there's no way to play the entire song end to end.

Any ideas? Workarounds? Indications as to why this might happen...specific plugins, automation, etc.? I can state it isn't number of tracks or something about the mac that's the issue, it's clearly a DP bug. Other songs load and play fine, including songs that use UAD plugins.
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Re: DP 9.1 not playing nice with UAD Apollo Quad

Post by csiaudio »

Have you tried creating a copy of the session and try that one? Something could be wrong with the writing of a file and by it rewriting the session is may correct it? Worth a try.

I'm on 9.1 with a Quad and a Twin via Thunderbolt and have not experienced that issue...not that that helps you.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Try loading the problem project into a new project. See LOAD under FILE Menu.
larryssp

Post by larryssp »

Something in 9.1 is causing DP to lose the hardware connection - I have it with an HD192. Clicking in hardware has brought it back. But certain things trigger it to lose communication. When I open Reason or load a sound it's been losing communication. I wonder if at the point in the song where this happens you have something happening - a new patch, VI entrance. Anything going on there that you can point to?
DP 9.12, OS 10.11.6, mac pro 8 core, 24 gigs ram, Mach Five 3.2, MSI, Superior Drummer, Battery, Reason, Slate Drums, EW Gold
http://www.2ndstprod.com
http://www.dannysguitarshop.tv
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

If you can find a way to reproduce reliably let us know. It would likely be a big help to MOTU to find the problem.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
RROY

Post by RROY »

From what I remember, I believe UAD does no testing with DP.
Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad core /24 gb ram/OS 10.13.6, Dp 10.13, MTP AV, /UAD 2, KOMPLETE 12, Stylus RMX, SD 3.0, EZ Drummer 3, A&H ZED R 16.
NeilBlack

Post by NeilBlack »

I had the stuttering / glitching, processor spike problem in a project a while back. Always at the same spot in the track. I eventually solved it by disabling the stock Motu DP sampler.
DP10.1 MacPro 5.1 Hex OSX 10.14.6 24GB Ram. UA Apollo. ProAc Studio 100's. Neumann KH120's Neumann 84's / AKG / Crowley & Tripp / NTK Jolly mod. Focusrite, TLA, GAP mic pre's. Maschine 2
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

If it is a firewire Apollo quad there may lie your problem. I had those kind of problems and so did scores of others with the firewire version of this hardware. Check the UAD forum I am sue you’ll find the thread that is severals years running!!
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Yes I too recently moved from my trusty pci-424 based MOTU interfaces to Apollo FireWire and its proven to really slow down DP. I'm also experiencing dropped UAD plugs during playback and recording. Very unpleasant. At this point I'm considering going back to my HD192, but I really like the UAD2 plugs. Maybe I can use both. Probably won't solve the issues though unless I unplug the Apollo. Ugh. I paid $3k for the thing -and 10 plugs.
Greg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

The Sonnet Allegro PCIe/firewire card completely fixed Apollo issues for me. No more error messages!
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... lsrc=aw.ds
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Interesting. Is the PCI FW800 somehow superior to the front panel FW800 connector on a MacPro. Not sure I see the advantage of going PCI plus I'm out of card slots...?
Greg

DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

By the way, the latest UA and Mac Sierra updates seemed to have really helped responsiveness in my system. See my earlier post in this thread.
Greg

muscletn

Post by muscletn »

I don't have the technical acumen to tell you why a PCIe to Firewire 800 card is superior to the built-in FW ports on the MacPro. My tech, however does, and he is insistent that the FW ports on the MacPro (silver towers) are junk.
As I said in previous post, I was having incessant Error -38, -50, -51, etc. UAD messages until I installed the Sonnet card. After installation they were 99.9% gone. Every once in a while I'll get the "one or more UAD Plug-Ins have been disabled" message. But a DP re-boot usually fixes that. Wouldn't it nice if they told us which plug-in was disabled? I've spoken with UA about this annoyance, but I feel my words have fallen upon deaf ears.

I was early to the Apollo platform. With all of the error messages, as well as a few other issues, I was able to convince UA to let me be a Beta tester (they also suggested it!). The UA team was great, and committed to fixing the teething problems of the Apollo. They even replaced my original Apollo in an effort to remedy the issues. They suspected the MacPro FW ports may have been the culprit, but were having inconsistent results using the PCIe/FW cards. They simply couldn't endorse the Sonnet or any other card for that reason.

I did find out that UA tests only ProTools, Logic, Cubase (PC), and Ableton.
Despite the fact that some former MOTU people work or worked at UA, and that DP has such a large base among composers, they said that the numbers of DP users weren't sufficient to include it for testing. They figure that with Logic representing the Audio Units DAW there's enough carry-over. Of course I disagreed, saying that we're a small but mighty group. Maybe if enough DP users petitioned UA things could change.