The Robb Report

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robb Scott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Robb Report

Post by Robb Scott »

V. 9.12.,
2009 Mac Pro, 2.66 mHz 8-core, 16gb RAM

FINALLY Upgraded this beast, and am thus ready to resume bitching and whining. As you might remember (or don't), I keep a text doc open as I work with DP, jotting down any thoughts, gripes, observations, considerations (Christ, I'm turning into Adrian Belew), etc. As per usual, no attempt has been made to proofread for spelling or grammar errors, nor to double-check any question that could've been easily figured out by reading the frickin' manual.

The 1st batch....

Track Window Comments: They no move (wasn’t that the punchline to a really juvenile dirty joke when I was a kid? Ahem...) Anyways, suggest adding an option to show the comments field as a button (the button would change color and/or shape when the field contains some text). The button would open the track’s comment box when pressed...the button’s column would be allowed to be moved and placed like any other column. I do a lot of commenting at the beginning of a project, and this would allow easier access to the field, and allow me to move it the hell out of the way when it’s time to do so. This one’s a little obscure, but hey, I column like I (SMACK! Hey, OK, I’ll quit it, jeez....)

I wanna duplicate an entire Track Folder. Including any sub-folders. I want to do this repeatedly, and with great urgency. Renaming conventions would be a discussion...

When you disable an entire track folder, DP should remember which audio tracks or subfolders were disabled, and then not turn them on when the folder is re-enabled.

I want to specify which track a freeze goes to. You should default to, ummm...where-ever it’s defaulting to now. Just let me choose (in case its default track changes, like the one that just did on me)...

JEEZ THIS THING CRASHES A LOT

(That is, possibly, my fault.....)

Welcome Screen: Put me down as being for this one. Nice idea, well executed...

From the Sequence Editor, I want to dismiss a track from view, close it one-click like a Finder window, as if I’d deselected it in the Track Selector.

(yes, monitor real estate is a problem hereabouts...)...

OK, so I open up Setup/Configure Audio System/Configure Hardware Driver. I don’t change anything, I just wanna check where I left the Buffer size. I cancel. The Audio System reloads anyways, along with every single VI I have open - which is a lot at the beginning of a project. I am sad, and I’m out of coffee. ...

In the Tracks window, I’d like the abiulity to Modifier-DoubClick on a Track label or the Track itself, and open said track in its appropriate Editor, showing only that window.

Y’know what’d be cool? Reverse Repeat. It’d be a check box in the “Repeat” Dialog box - Repeat X number of times, but instead of Repeat Forwards, it’d be Back X number of times. You could stick this one in while you’re finally implementing “Repeat Until”, a request I’ve been bugging you guys about for (now) Two (count ‘em) 2 centuries. More on that one soon...

OK, sometimes I’m freezing a VI track, and I find I’ve selected a tad too much of the track. I can cancel, but then I have to start all over again. What I’d like to do is cancel the freeze, but have the option of keeping what I’ve frozen so far....

While Selecting, I’d like to hold down a modifier key such that, no matter where Snap-To-Grid is set, the selection snaps to whole measures.

Why is it that everytime I quit I get “The Application Digital Performer has quit unexpectedly”? Seems to be saving the Project at quit, but it’s still a bit unsettling (Moe Howard voice: “My Nerves, My Nerves...!”) The Alert Box has a “Send” button, so I hope you’re enjoying the reports...
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
The One True Robb
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: The Robb Report

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

9.12 is overdue for an update. Too flakey for my work. 9.01 seems pretty reliable. Thanks for the report. I agree with most of it. Maybe even all of it. :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Robb Scott wrote:V. 9.12.,

FINALLY Upgraded this beast
By "upgrade, I guess you mean software.

Whenever I see a 2009 running original CPUs, I always like to mention that, for very nominal expense, you can upgrade your 4,1 to a 5,1 12 core 3.33 beast. Willingness to get under the hood is necessary, but the job isn't that tough, especially if you purchase de-lidded CPUs. For more, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58848&hilit=X5680

Xeon X5680 CPUs now cost about $100 each. Just sayin'.

If monitor real estate blues are impacting your workflow, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62951&p=537867&hilit=X5680#p537867
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Robb Scott

Post by Robb Scott »

HCMarkus wrote:
Robb Scott wrote:V. 9.12.,

FINALLY Upgraded this beast
By "upgrade, I guess you mean software.
Yeah...I've been slogging along in v7.x for too long, finally got around to bringing it up-to-date. I don't do these hideous reports unless I'm commenting on the absolute latest version (and to that end, looks like I gotta look into DP 9.1....)

Whenever I see a 2009 running original CPUs, I always like to mention that, for very nominal expense, you can upgrade your 4,1 to a 5,1 12 core 3.33 beast. Willingness to get under the hood is necessary, but the job isn't that tough, especially if you purchase de-lidded CPUs. For more, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58848&hilit=X5680

Xeon X5680 CPUs now cost about $100 each. Just sayin'.

If monitor real estate blues are impacting your workflow, see this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62951&p=537867&hilit=X5680#p537867

Good tips, and thanks....!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
The One True Robb
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

In 9.12 you can see the buffer size (and other audio system info) in the transport bar in the consolidated window, and you can actually change them there as easy as changing the project's tempo.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
MIDI Life Crisis

Now I can't remember why I stopped using DP 9.12. Maybe I'll give it another shot to jog my memory or, hopefully, not see any problems. :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

You really should, MLC. It runs like a watch on my rig. Maybe you just had a bad install or something.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
MIDI Life Crisis

Could be. Reinstall, kill the plists, blame the victim! LOL Thanks, Jim.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robb Scott

Post by Robb Scott »

dinobass wrote:In 9.12 you can see the buffer size (and other audio system info) in the transport bar in the consolidated window, and you can actually change them there as easy as changing the project's tempo.
And so you can. There is sometimes a downside to using a software product for. like, forever (My first copy of DP was procured in '94 or so). Stuff gets tossed in that you just don't notice sometimes. Thanks!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
The One True Robb
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

Robb Scott wrote:
Welcome Screen: Put me down as being for this one. Nice idea, well executed...

I agree. it's especially helpful at shows where I get jack squat for setup time. That 30 seconds of File, Open, Browse, Select is time well saved!
MacPro 12core 64GB Ram 4 1TB SSDs motu 828mk3 DP 10.11