Never seen this before... [RESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TnMike
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Never seen this before... [RESOLVED]

Post by TnMike »

I enter a MIDI drum pattern using Superior Drummer like I have done for years years and now when I try to change the velocity of a single note in the info bar, it defaults to 127. Can not change it. Tried a new file and restarted computer and rig. Kinda baffled.
Any one know what is causing this?
Thanks,
Mike
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
TnMike

Re: Never seen this before...

Post by TnMike »

Well, time to cancel session and start figuring out why this is happening. I've re-plugged in my usb devices (computer keyboard, trackball, etc.)
Restarted all gear and computer. When I enter MIDI data on my piano keyboard within DP, the velocities are what ever I put in. Only when I click on the velocity information window and I try to change it, the velocity changes to 127. I change it again and it instantly changes back to 127. Would something be set to default to 127 if tried to change it?
Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks, Mike

DP 9.0.2
OS 10.10.5
Mac Pro Intel 2010, 16 gigs RAM, Apollo Quad, 2408 mkIII, Raven Mti2, UAD-2, MTPAV, Superior Drummer 3.0 drums, Ivory piano, B4 organ, PodProxt, Kemper, Ozone 9, Apogee Mini-Me, Roland R-8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a weird one, for sure!! I haven't ever seen that in DP, and I'm racking (wracking?) my brain trying to think of something that would cause that.

The only little troubleshooting thing I can think of would be to create a new OS user (just for testing, you can trash it afterwards)-- and just see if the behavior happens if you are logged in as different user. A corrupt preference?

MH often suggests reinstalling DP9 then repairing permissions. Which sounds like it might be a reasonably safe step to take.

If you haven't started a support ticket with MOTU, that would be a good next step. They can walk you through some other things to try-- like launching DP in different modes.

GOOD LUCK!!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Call MOTU?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Is the track armed to record?

Does the velocity field kinda flicker when it jumps back to 127?

Could be that (for some reason) your controller keyboard is generating these MIDI events.

Try disarming record and maybe even input and see if you can change those velocities.

Just a thought!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

TnMike

Post by TnMike »

Thanks guys...I found out it was a MIDI pulse coming from my Ramsa mixer. I disconnected the MIDI cables from it and everything is back to normal. Not sure why the mixer started doing this. I don't use the it for anything except monitoring anyhow so it works fine without MIDI connections.
Thanks again for your suggestions...
Mike :)
stubbsonic

Re: Never seen this before... [RESOLVED]

Post by stubbsonic »

Buzzy called it!!

Sometimes if a fader is kind of between values (?) or perhaps dirty (?), even little vibrations can cause it to send out values-- even when they aren't being deliberately changed. I had this with a controller (though it was doing something quite different than your case). I worked the right fader up & down a few times and it never happened again.

I'm really glad you started this thread, because this is just the kind of thing we'd forget about-- i.e., that some random MIDI CC could be changing values in a random field like that.

I'm so glad you figured it out so quickly! (Thanks to Buzzy-- or maybe you figured it out before he did?)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Don T

Re: Never seen this before... [RESOLVED]

Post by Don T »

Hello,
My Ramsa Da7 started having a related error 3 years ago.
When I drive the faders in DP with the Da7 MIDI Fader Layer they work for a while then suddenly stop. I can then re-attach the MIDI controllers and it starts working again. I used a long ago required trouble shooting tool that looks at the MIDI data and saves the stream to a file so I can look it over. Turns out the MIDI note associated with each fader changed. Sometimes all the faders have the same note. I have yet to tear into it to see if I can diagnose the problem. It has to be the MIDI "IC" on the main board going wonky when it's been on a while. I still love the A/D on the Ramsa, nice little board.
It's the ear, not the gear!
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (dp 10.01) - Lynx Aurora16 - OS 10.12.6/WaveArts/TruePianos - Legend 32ch console - G16 Fostex
(2) MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core (DP 9.5) OS 10.12 - 24 I/O - 2408 mk2 - Da7- (PT 12) - 8 trk MCI
MacPro 2.66 gHz 12 core - OSX 10.12 - Genesys Black - Lynx Aurora16 - waves - Oxford - McDSP - 16 trk Otari - analog sweetness