DP 9.12 Audio Drop Offs While Playing Ivory II

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Soundlayer3
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.12 Audio Drop Offs While Playing Ivory II

Post by Soundlayer3 »

Hello,

A couple of months ago I upgraded to DP 9.12. A couple days ago I recorded a piano track in DP 9.12 using plugin Synthology Ivory II American Concert D version 2.13 and when it plays back, the playback monitor in DP sometimes spikes in level which is followed by an audio drop off. I tried playing back at various buffer sizes and it still happened. The activity monitor on my Mac shows adequate CPU room so I am stumped. I went from DP 7.24 (32 bit) to DP 9.12 (64 bit) and I would think DP's performance would improve, not diminish. I am using a sustain pedal while playing Ivory II and the number of voices sometimes approaches the 90's and I have the Ivory II number of voices set at 200. Below is the hardware/software that I have:

Imac (mid 2011) - 2.7 GHZ Intel Core i5 with 20 GB of RAM. El Capital Version 10.11.6. The Ivory II library is loaded on a Lacie SSD. Everything is in 64 bit...

I'm pretty sure before I upgraded to DP 9.12 I was able to playback Ivory II in DP 7.24 with minimal issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
HCMarkus

Re: DP 9.12 Audio Drop Offs While Playing Ivory II

Post by HCMarkus »

No issues here with 9.12 and Ivory. I recall someone saying something about deselecting max voices or something like that; you might search the site. I could find no such parameter in Ivory back when I looked.
dix

Post by dix »

Right. Turning off “Offline Maximum Voices" in Ivory's prefs, as suggested by both MOTU and Synthogy, fixed this for me.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dix wrote:Right. Turning off “Offline Maximum Voices" in Ivory's prefs, as suggested by both MOTU and Synthogy, fixed this for me.
Where do you find this preference dix?
Soundlayer3

Post by Soundlayer3 »

Hi All,

Thanks for your help. I turned off the "Offline Maximum Voices" in the Preferences tab in the VST. Synthology also recommended to keep the Ivory plug-in window open while using Ivory in DP. I did both of these things, played back my track, and had no audio drop offs.

HCMarkus,

"Offline Maximum Voices" is the bottom item in the preferences tab in the VST. Just toggle it to off. This parameter is in version 2.13 VST. If you don't have version 2.13 VST, you can download it for free on the Synthology website which will only update the VST.
dix

Post by dix »

Yes. I've continued to have playback issues occasionally even after I turned off that pref (sry HC. I'm not at my studio. There's a pref tab in there somewheres). Keeping the VI's gui open fixes that. ...as it does with a lot of VIs that don't play nice with 9.1
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

I will try that also. I have shut off the preference in Ivory, but I was getting drop offs also. Even when I bnc to disk it happened, also Freeze track. Will try keeping the VI open also, thanks !
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
HCMarkus

Sustain Pedal when Recording VIs - Issue and Workaround

Post by HCMarkus »

Just submitted Tech Note to MOTU - DP9.12 under Sierra:

Sustain works properly with VIs until one tries to record over pre-existing MIDI data at which time the sustain pedal ceases to function while recording until all pre-recorded MIDI data has been overwritten
  • Set up MIDI track routed to Ivory or Kontakt.
    Record VI such as piano or electric piano using MIDI Controller and sustain pedal.
    While recording, note sustain pedal functions properly; the VI will respond as it should.
    Roll to beginning
    Record again on same track. Note that while recording, until the end of previously recorded data is reached, sustain pedal does not effect the VI while recording.
    On playback, all pedaling is heard properly, despite the fact it could not be heard while recording.
Workaround: Recording on a SEPARATE MIDI track routed to same VI DOES NOT exhibit this issue.