May have figured out what causes comp tool giltching

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

May have figured out what causes comp tool giltching

Post by toodamnhip »

For as long as comp tool has been around, DP has had the annoying bug of at first, when 1st opening a session, being able to use the comp tool to import sub track data WITHOUT glitching playback, but then the glitching playback begins after awhile. Where once a user could scrub across a piece of sub track into the comp without playback glitch, suddenly, the same swiping of a sub track CAUSES glitch. I have never been able to find a rhyme or reason for this before, it has always seemed very random, as if DP’s buffers get full or something? Who knew.
Open a session, start using the comp tool and at first, you can swipe across a sub track without play back glitching. Then eventually, swiping across a sub track with the comp tool starts to result in play back glitching for a sec.
Why?

Well, the REASON I found is that when you PASTE audio into the comp track, such as pasting from chor 1 to chor 2, the comp tool no longer imports new sub track data into the comp track without playback glitching.
The pasting of data of any sort, from either a comp sub track, or anywhere else in an audio track, RUINS “glitch-less” comp tool use/importing.
Quitting DP and re-starting it fixes the issue until the next time one pastes data into the comp track, at which point the glitching resumes.
This seems like a bug to me.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
mikehalloran

Re: May have figured out what causes comp tool giltching

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote:Image
It is isn’t it? Something about pasting really messes up comp tool. I will next have to test whether or not CLOSING the comp window and then re opening it fixes the issue and makes glitch-free comping work again. Could you test this Mike? Start comping, make sure you can add sub tracks material to the comp track without playback glitching. The paste something into that com track without hiding sub takes, and see if DP starts glitching in subsequent comp tool maneuvers
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Well, I’m afraid it requires one quit and re start DP to fix the issue. I was hoping hiding and displaying comp takes could resolve it. maybe I’ll try disabling and re enabling the track next time? Re starting sucks.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Positively figured out what causes comp tool giltching

Post by toodamnhip »

I am +1-ing this thread to see again if anyone out there cares about this issue?
This is a real bug. Basically, any pasting of any audio in a session file ruins from that point on, the ability of DP to insert comp tool data into the comp track with an audio glitch occurring for a sec or two after the comp tool placement. Up until that 1st pasting of audio data, the comp tool places data into the comp track without the audio choking. But after the 1st instance of pasting some audio anywhere in the session file, the comp tool chokes when placing data into the comp track. So what I have to do is basically quit and re start DP after any pasting of data into an audio track, if I want the comp tool to perform seamlessly again. A major PITA.
Anyone else care about this?
Anyone able to verify this?
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13