DP 9.12--tempo events at wrong beat value-how to prevent?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
greg328
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.12--tempo events at wrong beat value-how to prevent?

Post by greg328 »

Hello all, quick question, and it's a two-parter:

A) Is there a way to correctly set the beat value (quarter, eighth, dotted eighth, dotted quarter) of the tempo events when drawn as a curve with the pencil tool? Lately when I draw tempo curves in the Conductor track they always seem to be the wrong beat value.

B) Is there a way to do a mass edit of the many tempo events drawn on a curve, but at the wrong beat value? Would be extremely tedious to manually adjust them all, even in the Event List view.

If I knew how to do A, I wouldn't need to do B!

Thanks DP Braintrust!
Greg
Austin TX
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
stubbsonic

Re: DP 9.12--tempo events at wrong beat value-how to prevent

Post by stubbsonic »

I just did a test, adding 6/8 and dotted-quarter = 120 into the conductor track. Then I used the pencil to add in some tempos and they were all based on dotted quarter (even though the grid was set to quarter notes).

But I couldn't find a way to make the tempo anything but dotted quarter notes.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Exactly my issue. There has to be a way to set the beat value of the tempo events when entered in DP via pencil tool? Nobody else battling this? Seems to be a gross oversight if no fix..

Greg
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

DP appears to use the current value unless you change it.

Where you change it depends on which window you are using to draw in the tempo events. They can be done in the Sequence Window or the MIDI window.

Sequence Window:
On the left panel of the sequence window are the track names and some popups. Set the Conductor Track to show Tempo (not Key, Meter, or Markers) in the first popup. In the "Insert" popup you can then choose the beat value for inserting tempo changes with the pencil tool. If you're doing a dotted value be sure to choose the dot first and then go back and choose the note value. I've had it not "stick" otherwise.

MIDI Window:
In the popup in the far upper right of the MIDI window choose the Conductor track to show it and select the pencil tool. In the mini menu in the upper right (just to the right of the popup used previously) you can choose the beat value in the same way as the Sequence window.

--Kurt
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Kurt--thank you, I'll check those tips out..
Greg
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yup. There it is. Plain as day. Thanks, Kurt!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
greg328

Post by greg328 »

yep, found it. Never knew that was there after all these years! Thanks so much!
And yes, you do have to select the dot first, or the note value base may not change to your setting.
Greg