Minor Feature Request: Transparent Waveforms

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Minor Feature Request: Transparent Waveforms

Post by buzzsmith »

Occasionally, I get vocal redos (for instance) or fixes from other studios non time-stamped that I'd like to line up with either the original or get very close within my project by dragging the new soundbite on top of my existing one.

Obviously, I'm very aware of and use almost daily the nudge or drag method while observing the positioning of the track underneath the replacement one.

While doing this in the presence of a client a few weeks ago (who is getting into the home studio thing to record his vocals) he wondered why I couldn't do it like he does in Cubase with semi transparent waveforms.

I had no reply, but it would be a little bit of a time saver.

Here's a screenshot that he sent where you can kinda see the two tracks as he lines them up. This is not his final, he's just showing the two with an offset so that I could see what he meant.

Not a biggie!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Minor Feature Request: Transparent Waveforms

Post by terrybritton »

I would not be surprised to see this coming to DP soon. I have it in Harrison Mixbus (and so, it must be in Ardour I suppose). Very convenient! If Ardour has it, the code to pull it off is open-source, so...

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, that would be REALLY useful. It's a bit like how we can show MIDI on the same window (in different colors etc.

But while we're on that topic, this would make overlapping MIDI notes a bit easier to see two (i.e. notes covering other notes).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Don't really see how it would be faster. You still have to lay the track in where you think it goes and slide it into position. I guess it might look cooler.

When people ask me questions like that, I usually just say, "Because I don't use Cubase. Wanna hear all the reasons why?" :)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm all for features that enable users to work faster. Though I'm not a programmer, my guess is that the coding required to implement this feature is not exactly "minor."
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Rather than having to look align things vertically (i.e., I'm lining it up with a thing that is above or below, you can align to something that is behind. I think that's just more precise. As it is now, I use the wiper as kind of an alignment guide. On another thread we were musing about longer crosshairs at the mouse cursor.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dix

Post by dix »

As it is now, I use the wiper as kind of an alignment guide
Or to get super tweaky, temporarily place the soundbite to be aligned on top of the same track as the original reference, and edge edit to a clear transient and slide the soundbite to be aligned into place - then put it back onto it's own track whence, and edge edit back to original start.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

James Steele wrote:I'm all for features that enable users to work faster. Though I'm not a programmer, my guess is that the coding required to implement this feature is not exactly "minor."
James: I may have misled with the title!

I meant "minor" to refer to a feature that is way down the list of my priorities for a great and stable DP! Problems reported with 9.12 (I'm not using) would most definitely have precedence.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

buzzsmith wrote:
James Steele wrote:I'm all for features that enable users to work faster. Though I'm not a programmer, my guess is that the coding required to implement this feature is not exactly "minor."
James: I may have misled with the title!

I meant "minor" to refer to a feature that is way down the list of my priorities for a great and stable DP! Problems reported with 9.12 (I'm not using) would most definitely have precedence.
Oh yes, Buzzy! I'm sorry... didn't mean that to sound snarky or anything. Seems like a good idea, just might be intensive. I know from past experience that when I make suggestions to MOTU, often the ones that are easiest to implement have a better chance of happening. I hope they sort out the audio engine disconnection issue that some of us experience. That seems like a relatively new thing that I've never seen before.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!