From 9.12 back to 9.02 on my system FYI

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

From 9.12 back to 9.02 on my system FYI

Post by artfarm1 »

For anyone with similar system, some FYI.

I jumped from DP 8.07 to 9.12 a couple of weeks ago on my system:
2009 MacPro, 2x2.26 QuadCore w/5,1 firmware running, 24 gig RAM; SSD drives for system, sample libraries, and projects; original Traveler mkI; current MOTU audio drivers.

All seemed well, (with a few quirks), until I got into a more demanding project and tried toi finalize and master.

My project has 6 intances of EastWest PLAY 5 running Hollywood Orchestra (Gold), several instances of EastWest Spaces, plus a couple other VI's as well.

The new EastWest PLAY 5 is fantastic, by the way, and doesn't seem to be the basis of anything weird with DP 9.12 .

Over the last few days, my DP 9.12 would crash quite often while saving, the MAS audio system would just die for some reason, the new pre-gen seemed to be really slow whenever I wanted to go back and play a V.I. instrument (as in no response from the V.I. for a few seconds after clicking the record button in order to play it).

Worst of all was the introduction of pops, cracks, etc. in the audio stream. (this is a sample only project)

I tried all the streaming and disk adjustments possible in PLAY and the other V.I.'s, and it didn't change anything.

And the CPU is fine, RAM is fine, and there are no signs of any spikes or distortion in my DP output either. (everything is at 0db or less with a the Masterworks limiter thrown on as well to boost my final output. I trust it as I always have before without problem.)

I tried freezing some tracks, but some of the frozen tracks didn't record the first measure or two upon freezing. That's a problem.

So, I thought I should 'downgrade' to DP 9.02.

Now, all is fine. Everything runs smoother, faster, and there are no audio cracks or pops.

I check the 9.02 Preferences and the 'Real time PlugIn' settings, and the project even loaded in at 'Pre Gen Mode when possible'. All is well. The plugins are running in PreGen mode without problem.

Anyways, that's a FYI report for y'all.
Last edited by artfarm1 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
artfarm1

Re: From 9.12 back to 9.02 on my system FYI

Post by artfarm1 »

UPDATE:

Hmmm.... can't use 'Pre-Gen' now. I have to run all plugins in RealTime in order to avoid any audio artifacts.

So...maybe when I first loaded in the project, and all ran beautifully for awhile, it was running in RealTime mode?

Maybe after I quite DP 9.02 and re-opened, they loaded in 'Pre-Gen' mode?

Whatever.... the 'Pre-Gen' mode is what is now causing any problems.

I can run the same project in DP 8.07 without problem as well, where I assume all plugins are running in RealTime mode.

But 9.12 still has problems, whether I try using 'PreGen' or 'RealTime'. Each mode introduces audio artifacts.
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This also belongs in the Troubleshooting / criticism forum.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

It may seem like EW Play is "playing nice" but VI's built like Play and pre-gen don't get along. I suggest a call to MOTU Tech. They will get to the bottom of the issue. When I first started using 9.12 I was having issues. It turned out to be one sample in BFD2 (Extra Snare 2). When it was triggered below velocity 7 by a ghost note it was DP crash city. Seemed like a DP problem. The guys in Tech helped me isolate it by looking a crash reports etc.

That said If having the low latency of Pre-gen is NOT a factor then stay in 9.02. But sooner or later you will need to figure it out because MOTU won't be going back to a no pre-gen version. Then again some people are still on Snow Leopard and DP6 so that may be looooong time before 9.02 goes down.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I have it on good authority DP9.13 is "soon to be released"; I'm hoping MOTU fixes this issue as well as the pitch editing behavior (mouse issue I have been finding very frustrating), which has reportedly been addressed. I have definitely noted more random audio artifacts when running under 9.12 than the beloved 8.07, but this is offset by being able to work effectively with VIs while using a 4x larger buffer. I have not experienced significant crashing. On balance, I'm, still liking 9.12.
waxman

Post by waxman »

Yeah they will show 9.13 at Namm. I did not hear about the mouse thing... finally!

I've been using the Raven touch to do pitch editing because the magic mouse does the Watussi... it's cool but would prefer a Magic Mouse that does not run of the reservation.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:Yeah they will show 9.13 at Namm.
Can I ask where you heard this? I haven't heard anything publicly about it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!