Kontakt VI skipping during playback of many tracks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
wonder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Kontakt VI skipping during playback of many tracks

Post by wonder »

I'm working on a project arranging symphony for a live show.

This is by far the most MIDI/VI intensive session I've done and I'm having issues with Kontakt spiking my Processor.

I'm on a Mac Pro (2008). 24 Gigs of RAM. Yosemite.

I'm using 3 instances of Kontakt.

the first 2 are full (16 instruments each) and the 3rd has about 11 instruments loaded.

I'm using probably 8 or so instances of LASS....which seems to be most of the CPU heavy problem.

I turned "MultiProcessor Support" OFF inside of Kontakt and that seemed to help.

But I have to mute a bunch of MIDI tracks while I'm recording other MIDI tracks or else the session pays back at about half speed or so with constant red lining of Processor in DP and audio dropouts of the VI's.

I'm streaming my VI's from an internal SATA drive.

I have to increase my buffer to 1024 which then leads to latency.

Any suggestions?

I've heard of guys easily running 100+ MIDI tracks without any issue.

Time to get a new(er) Mac Pro?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Re: Kontakt VI skipping during playback of many tracks

Post by mikehalloran »

At first glance, I was wondering about Kontakt 6.... It took me a minute.

When you bounce to disk, do the missing tracks reappear in the mix? This is common when the buffer is set too low as your Mac sets priorities and audio playback is usually low on the list. If all of the tracks mix properly, this is how a Mac works.

If setting your buffer to 1024 works, that pretty much tells you what you need to know. Yes, increasing it adds latency but only while tracking and this is normal. I reduce the number of tracks I monitor during overdubs so that I can run at near-zero. When mixing, I set it to the level that works, normally 1024 on my iMac. Again, this is normal.

Do you have a major investment in PCIe? If so, consider an MP 5.1. There are those upgrade threads that may or may not be useful. More RAM will help—but by how much?

There are those old posts by Magic Dave on maximizing multi-core performance. I'm not finding them at the moment but, perhaps, someone else knows right where they are and can post the link.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

If using Kontakt extensively, you likely will find this video by member Steve Steele quite interesting.

Terry
I show you five ways to optimize Kontakt 5 in a large film scoring type template to take up less of a memory footprint, use less CPU threads and how to save the optimize version in your template.

In this video I cover:

Kontakt's Multiprocessor Support (CPU core count).
Kontakt's Database and how to manage it.
How Kontakt's uses DFD and how to set it for your system.
Kontakt's CPU Profiling Mode
How to correctly Purge Kontakt.
Last edited by terrybritton on Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Following.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Great tips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

wonder

Post by wonder »

Re: PCIe, yes. My interface is a 2408mk3 ... so without the PCIe, I'm dead.

I will take a look at that video .. thanks so much.

I found if I do a restart, that will help. Maybe that flushes the cache or something?

I have noticed that most, if not all of the issues are from LASS. Maybe thats just a CPU intensive VI?
Dual Quad-Core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro 3,1 • Yosemite • 24 GB RAM • MOTU 2408mk3 (x's 2) • DP 10.xx • Finale 25 • Logic • PT 12 • +outboard gear
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

wonder wrote:Re: PCIe, yes. My interface is a 2408mk3 ... so without the PCIe, I'm dead.

I will take a look at that video .. thanks so much.

I found if I do a restart, that will help. Maybe that flushes the cache or something?

I have noticed that most, if not all of the issues are from LASS. Maybe thats just a CPU intensive VI?
Many applications and plugins have memory leaks. In addition, apps do not release all memory -- this allows the machine to be more efficient. Running sudo purge in Terminal will help to clear RAM but not as much as a reboot.

It looks to me like more RAM may help after all.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wonder

Post by wonder »

I just ordered 8 more GB. Will see if that helps.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Each instance of Kontakt gets assigned to one core of your processor. So if you have one instance of Kontakt with 16 instruments loaded into it, the running of that instance is not spread across multi-core processors: it ALL runs under the same core, and causes digital hilarity.

You might try using more instances and fewer instruments in each one.

Turning off Kontakt's MultiProcessor Support is definitely the right thing to do. And while this is pretty heavy on your CPU, LASS will use all the memory it can, and streaming that much data from an SATA drive is going to heat the drive right up.

So, another 8Gb of RAM is a good idea, too.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Personally I think running more than one instance of Kontakt with one instrument is asking for trouble. The disk streaming just becomes too bottlenecked. Having your sample-based libraries on a
their own SSD or hybrid drive helps for sure. And while I know it is difficult to "imagine" an arrangement in your head, I try to do just that and commit one part at a time to audio, then move on to the next part, and so on.

Another option is to have a multitimbral workstation synth (like a Yamaha Motif or Montage) on
hand to sketch your arrangement with, then use those parts' MIDI to trigger your Kontakt parts one at a time and record each one as audio.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This is helping me a lot. I bought Komplete a few weeks ago and am getting into Kontakt slowly.

Later iMacs have Thunderbolt (2011) and TB+USB 3 (2012 on) but my 2010 has neither. Fortunately, it and the 2011 have an unused SATA bus (27" iMacs only).

OWC has a modification that converts the extra SATA bus to an eSATA port so I had Apple ship it there when I bought it—the difference between CA and IL sales taxes nearly paid for the mod. This means I don't have to go back inside to install a library drive on that spare bus. An external eSATA dock works great and is holding a second 850 EVO where I've installed my libraries.

Now that my machine is 7 years old, I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. I expect that Kontakt is going to be the deciding factor of whether the next one is another iMac or a Mac Pro and how soon I need to do it. I don't like that the maximum amount of internal storage is only 1T (not doing a fusion drive).
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

David Polich wrote:Personally I think running more than one instance of Kontakt with one instrument is asking for trouble.
I have a 12-core 3.33Ghz 5,1 Mac with 32Gb of RAM and my sample libraries on a separate, internal 1Tb SSD. I am wrapping up a video game project where I had 8 instances of Kontakt 5 running 27 orchestral instruments (LASS and CineWinds, CinePerc and VOXOS Choir), all running live at once, and experienced no trouble. I did get to the point where I had to print a couple instruments to audio before final mix, but I'mm not any kind of Mac maven and I'm living proof that this statement isn't necessarily so.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]