Issue with exporting MIDI and conductor track

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
animalland
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Issue with exporting MIDI and conductor track

Post by animalland »

Having this head scratching issue with MIDI export. I select the MIDI tracks I want, including the conductor track, and export either as a MIDI file or clipping (same issue in both).

I open the MIDI file in a new sequence or in another program and it LOOKS fine. All the parts are there in the right place and the conductor track looks correct. I can see where there are meter and tempo changes and they match what I exported.

But when I playback, it defaults the tempo to 120bpm NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDUCTOR TRACK SAYS. I made a simple project in DP and sent it to a friend and when he did an export, this did not happen for him, so I'm assuming I have some sort of preference set incorrectly?

I'm using DP8.07 and in OS 10.9.5. Could it be that my computer is old too?

It's driving me a bit nuts as I'm trying to transfer all my projects over to Pro Tools for an upcoming session.
animalland

Re: Issue with exporting MIDI and conductor track

Post by animalland »

I read on a thread somewhere else to try to make a MIDI file by selecting the tracks and conductor track that you want and doing a Save As ---> MIDI File. I tried this method and it worked. Glad I found a workable solution, but still scratching my head as to why that is happening when I export as a MIDI file or clipping.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Very curious behavior, indeed. But thanks for sharing the workaround!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

animalland wrote:I read on a thread somewhere else to try to make a MIDI file by selecting the tracks and conductor track that you want and doing a Save As ---> MIDI File. I tried this method and it worked. Glad I found a workable solution, but still scratching my head as to why that is happening when I export as a MIDI file or clipping.
I've had trouble with the MIDI export selection function as well. But in my case, the exported file had the initial tempo set to [half note] = 20bpm. That is ridiculously slow! A 2 minute song might take hours to play at that tempo! The only work around was to use Save As instead.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
frankf

Post by frankf »

animalland wrote: But when I playback, it defaults the tempo to 120bpm NO MATTER WHAT THE CONDUCTOR TRACK SAYS.
Stating the obvious but- Do you have the tempo drop down in the CP set to Conductor? If yes, try toggling it to something else and back again.
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB