MAS Audio Engine performance on DP9 in 32-Bit Mode

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
guavaberry1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MAS Audio Engine performance on DP9 in 32-Bit Mode

Post by guavaberry1 »

Hi all, It's been a really long time (since like, the '90's).

I'm running DP7 and am thinking of upgrading to DP9, but frankly, I can't take advantage of the 64-bit processing fully since I would have to spend possible thousands of dollars to upgrade Mach Five, East-West Symphony Orchestra and Play.

Therefore, since I have been told that there are advantages of running DP9 in 32-bit mode in spite of the drawbacks mentioned above, what is the consensus regarding issues like:

1. Will the new MAS Audio Engine significantly improve virtual instrument performance, viz., reducing processor overload and therefore hardware overheating;
2. Would my situation be better served by my installing an SSD instead of upgrading DP?

Many Thanks and I would prefer a heads up off the list via my email, which is roger@rogerhuntmusic.com

Roger Hunt
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MAS Audio Engine performance on DP9 in 32-Bit Mode

Post by mikehalloran »

Absolutely switch to an SSD. The Samsung 850 EVO goes for $250 for a 1T and $600 for a 2T if you shop around. Everything including DP runs faster and your Mac will run cooler.

Mac Pro towers and iMacs require a $10 bracket. Late 2009 and later iMacs also require a $37 replacement heat sensor—there are two depending on the year, 2009–10 and 2011–on.

Enable TRIM. How depends on your OS.

Replace the NV RAM battery if five years old or older. CR2032 for MP towers and iMacs older than 2011. BR2032 for all other desktop Intel Macs due to higher heat tolerance.

I can't answer for the performance of MAS in 32bit as I still keep 7.24 installed for the rare occasion when I need to run old files with 32bit only plugs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro