HELP! "Change Tempo" Bug

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
freelancer47
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

HELP! "Change Tempo" Bug

Post by freelancer47 »

Hi all,

I'm running DP 8.07 (64-bit) on a Macbook w/ Yosemite.

I need to create a tempo map based on the specific way a colleague is playing a song. I had him record a piano part wild and I went back to "click out" the tempo, using the Record Beats function. I Adjusted Beats so that I now have a pretty accurate tempo of what he played.

What I need to do now - and what worked so well until today - is average tempos of about 8 bars at a time to get a cleaner tempo map. I've done this by bringing up the Conductor Track in my MIDI Editor, highlighting, say, an 8-bar region, then going to Project -> Conductor Track -> Change Tempo. I select "Frames" as my time unit and "Constant" as my Curve, then set the "End time" to one frame later than the selected region. In the past, this has given me a flat tempo that's the average of the tempos selected.

Not anymore!

Now, the tempo it gives me is substantially higher or lower than the tempos selected. For example, if I want to average two beats, one of which is Quarter = 100 and the other is Quarter = 102, instead of getting 101 for both beats, it gives me 200. Obviously incorrect.

It seems like a bug, so I'm not sure what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
-Max
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: HELP! "Change Tempo" Bug

Post by James Steele »

I'm afraid I can't be of much help here, but I would suggest you report this to MOTU (if it is indeed a bug). As you're probably aware, this board is not run by MOTU so mentioning it here isn't a guarantee that MOTU will be notified of the issue.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
freelancer47

Post by freelancer47 »

Thanks for the reply. Alternatively, if you or anyone has a different way that they like to "average tempos," I would more than appreciate hearing it!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

To me your method would be over complicated (my fault not yours) - but I have done something with constantly changing tempos in the past to match MIDI to live audio recordings. I do it a bit more by trial and error and just type in the beats per minute figure into the Conductor track at the appropriate points of the track where the audio track tempo drifts and keep editing these points until I get it right - easy to do and satisfying in the sense that you are doing things by yourself without some process you don't understand. The beauty also is you can always go back and adjust and fine tune individual tempo change points on the Conductor Track.

It's funny but I wasted half an hour the other day trying to find out how to delete a section of time in a project chunk and get the Markers to move in time also. The Markers stayed in the same place and therefore out of sync with the newly edited chunk. Couldn't work out how to do it (and someone may know how) - I finally found out it was easier to delete the time and then manually alter each Marker time by the same amount deleted (took about 2 minutes to manually change each Marker time). Sometimes it's easier to do this than search for a DP menu method/function.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.