DP 9.12 spinning on simple commands

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
LGK_Dude
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.12 spinning on simple commands

Post by LGK_Dude »

I've never seen anything like this but hopefully someone can give me some troubleshooting tips. I'm collaborating with another composer and received his DP file, but whenever I do simple commands, like move a track, record enable an audio track, etc DP will cause the spinning color wheel for a good 1-2 min, and now, as I'm writing this, DP seems to be stuck as the wheel keeps spinning. And its not like its a heavy project - most of it is loaded in VE pro outside of DP. I did upgrade to DP9.12 so perhaps its related, as I never had any issues like these in DP 8 or DP 9.02.

I'm not a heavy DP user, but I've never experienced this before and would really appreciate any help, for as it stands I'm worried that I'll loose this gig as I cannot work this way with constant spinning wheel son simple commands.
DP 9.12, Mac Pro 8-core 2.93 24GB Ram, Mac OS 10.11.6, UA Apollo
LGK_Dude

Re: DP 9.12 spinning on simple commands

Post by LGK_Dude »

Restarting my system seems to have solved it for now, but any troubleshooting advice would be appreciated.

Edit: spoke to soon and now it seems to be suck when trying to save!! I'm really desperate so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
leigh

Post by leigh »

Try going back to 9.02. There have been many reported problems with 9.12.

Good luck!

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
csavetman

Post by csavetman »

When that's happened to me in the past, it turned out to be a corrupted bundle assignment. Clearing them and resetting might help.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

How do you share files? Dropbox? Email? Sneaker net? Shared drive? Other?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
LGK_Dude

Post by LGK_Dude »

Happy new year! Thank you all for the suggestions.

Mike - we share file through a secure server, making sure to .zip all files to avoid corruption.

csavetman - thanks for the suggestion! I'll try clearing my bundles and see if that helps, but its odd I never experienced issues like this until I updated to 9.1

leigh - if the bundles doesn't work I'd like to roll back to 9.02, but I cannot find any information on how to do this exactly. With MOTU support not available due to the holiday any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

edit: I'm not able to check, but now that I think about it I think DP, unlike logic, keeps each version of the software on your system as a separate app? Is this correct?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

leigh wrote:Try going back to 9.02. There have been many reported problems with 9.12.

Good luck!

**Leigh
I found more problems with 9.02 and which were solved in 9.12 - so I wouldn't recommend going back - although it does seem to depend on which third party plugins you use, which OSX version, and which hardware you use.

On an up to date iMac with plenty of RAM, and the latest version of Sierra, I have had no problems with 9.12. That experience may be different for others.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.