Plug-ins that disable DP's transport E.G. Slate

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug-ins that disable DP's transport E.G. Slate

Post by philbrown »

I doubt anything can be done about it, so this probably amounts to a curiosity question...
Why do certain plug-ins [I'm lookin' at you Slate] disable DP's transport if the plug window is on top? Seems like I read about this quite a while back but don't recall specifics. Whatever the cause it's incredibly annoying. If there is a solution or workaround I would be very happy to know about it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Re: Plug-ins that disable DP's transport E.G. Slate

Post by bayswater »

Are they really disabling transport, or just becoming the focus for keyboard shortcuts normally used by the transport? I think it took updates by DP or the plugin to deal with this in the past. Probably the plugin -- many DAWs use spacebar for play.

Maybe a workaround is to define the keyboard shortcuts in the OS X preferences, e.g., link spacebar to play in DP at the OS level, and maybe that will catch the key press and send it to DP before the plugin sees it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:Are they really disabling transport, or just becoming the focus for keyboard shortcuts normally used by the transport?
I guess it's a focus thing- whichever window is in front.
I think it took updates by DP or the plugin to deal with this in the past. Probably the plugin -- many DAWs use spacebar for play.

Maybe a workaround is to define the keyboard shortcuts in the OS X preferences, e.g., link spacebar to play in DP at the OS level, and maybe that will catch the key press and send it to DP before the plugin sees it.
I get the feeling that might have repercussions but I may give it a try anyway. Thanks Bayswater.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

philbrown wrote:
I get the feeling that might have repercussions but I may give it a try anyway. Thanks Bayswater.
Yes, it might. I don't know. One could be that you don't be able to type a space in a text filed in DP, if the order of execution is OS then DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

bayswater wrote:
philbrown wrote:
Yes, it might. I don't know. One could be that you don't be able to type a space in a text filed in DP, if the order of execution is OS then DP.
I tried to do a OS>DP mouse workaround in a similar fashion recently and it had negative consequences much as you just described.

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

This happens with a few plugins for me.. the Lexicon PCM stands out as a recent one. It's definitely a key command focus issue, because I can still control the transport via Mackie Control from the console.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I guess it's a plug issue and not DP since it's only a few plugs but there's no way to really know for sure.
I switched prefs yesterday to 'run plugs in real time' to fix another iussue and it seems to have solved this one as well (with Slate anyway), or maybe it's just an inconsistent thing. Time will tell.

I just bought Lexicon PCM too but haven't really used it yet to know if it has the same issue.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Altiverb (in my case and amongst others) grabs the space bar.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I have most of the plug-ins you speak of and had never had the issue. Funny how these things happen.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

supersonic wrote:I have most of the plug-ins you speak of and had never had the issue. Funny how these things happen.
That's interesting. Maybe it's a DP setting. Do you happen to know your prefs as far as running plugs in real time, pre-gen etc? Also directing that to the other posters in this thread.