Plug-in woes (redraw issue?)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robb Scott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plug-in woes (redraw issue?)

Post by Robb Scott »

Hi,

I'm just jumping back into producing some music, after some time off. Working with DP, I'm noticing some problems that are new to this setup. Specifically, there are 3rd party plugins which load, and (so far) work, but DP doesn't seem to be drawing the interface correctly, so that I can't change any parameters.

DP is 7.24, Mac OS is 10.11.6. The OS is the only thing that's changed during my off time. Under previous OS versions, this version of DP was loading these same plugs fine, and displaying their panels correctly. The plugs in question are the old mda plugs (no great loss there) and my precious, wonderful Michael Norris Spectral plugs (AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I like those). The plugs load, and are properly processing audio, but as mentioned above can't be changed. They'll insert fine, but when opened appear to be trying to draw their interface but display only white boxes.

Anyone run into this? Do I need to (finally) upgrade my DP? Other plugs load, process and display fine: The official MOTU plugs, Waves, EastWest, SmartElectronix, Musolomo...the only problems are as stated above.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide...
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
The One True Robb
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
mikehalloran

Re: Plug-in woes (redraw issue?)

Post by mikehalloran »

The mda plugs work but the GUI is 32bit Cocoa only. With OS 10.8.2, the Mac supports Carbon only. All 64bit graphics are Carbon. Many 32bit are, also but not mda.

So, if they're in a project already, they'll work and you can hear them but, if you have to tweak a parameter, you are out of luck. Likewise, you don't want to be adding them to a new track.

Interestingly, if you upgrade to DP 9, you can get 32Lives for $99. Among its many features is that it translates the mda GUIs into Cocoa compatible so that they work again in 64bit. I bought it for another plug and was pleasantly surprised that mda in my old projects opened and I could tweak the plugs. I now have 64bit replacements for all the ones I ever used but if there's no reason to replace then, I'm fine.

OS 10.11 is the last OS where DP 7.24 can install and is fully functional. It's not supported past 10.7, of course but it still works.

BTW, developers were encouraged to migrate to Cocoa as far back as 1991. This gives you a clue as to how old those mda plugs are and that they were never updated. That they can be made to work at all anymore is a testament to how well they were written.

I was never able to get the VSTs to work in DP 8 with JBridge and have no interest in trying again with the 32Lives 2.0 upgrade now that it supports VSTs. I can leave them installed in old projects but will never use them in new ones.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Robb Scott

Re: Plug-in woes (redraw issue?)

Post by Robb Scott »

mikehalloran wrote:The mda plugs work but the GUI is 32bit Cocoa only. With OS 10.8.2, the Mac supports Carbon only. All 64bit graphics are Carbon. Many 32bit are, also but not mda...OS 10.11 is the last OS where DP 7.24 can install and is fully functional. It's not supported past 10.7, of course but it still works.
Hey, thanks! Yeah, gotta upgrade this thing, looks like...
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
The One True Robb
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+