Back to 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Back to 9.02

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Well...an intense day of working in 9.1.

Loops trigger out-of-time, even starting on an even bar.

The only way they play in time is to start from the first note of a cue.

My microphone inputs keep going into monitor-enalbed all by themselves.

Five minutes ago, all of my MIDI tracks disappeared!

The notes were still sounding, but all that was left was track folders on screen with NO tracks.

I open ands closed the project. The same thing...no tracks! They are still playing, but are not on-screen.

HUH ???

This is ridiculous !

As an aside, I am not going to try to recreate these issues for Motu's technical benefit. Actually making music for a living prevents me from wearing another hat as unpaid software tester/developer.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Back to 9.02

Post by Gravity Jim »

Those aren't problems with 9.12. I and thousands of other users are running the latest DP on the latest OSX, and it works perfectly with no weirdness.

These problems are originating somewhere else. I'd try reinstalling DP.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
waxman

Post by waxman »

I had some strange behavior and had to trash prefs... the whole folder. Even better reinstall.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I've done all of that, reinstalling, trashing prefs., and it still sucks.

The latency is definitely lower, but at the cost of basic functionality.

It's weird...every time some new version of software comes out and there is always someone waving their arms and warning you of dire circumstances if you install it. Your life will be ruined!

I always totally ignore that, and stuff usually works just fine.

This time, however, it really is screwed up.

I'm guessing it might be the "new-gen-pre-gen" stuff, but really who knows?

I absolutely totally love DP, I can totally fly in it when I work, and I don't really have the stamina or interest to try to learn some different DAW.

I hope they figure this s___ out.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Dude. The latency was not improved "at the cost of basic functionality." You're still talking like this is something that MOTU has to fix (and "guessing" that it's the new pre-can routines is a bad guess).

And that's not correct. DP 9.12 runs great, so the things you are encountering are not confirmed bugs. This is something YOU have to figure out. Because the problem is your rig, your computer, your signal chain.

Call MOTU, talk to support, get some clues. Try booting with no plug-ins, introduce them one or two at a time until it breaks again. Do some troubleshooting.

There's no need to start muttering about changing DAWs. But if you don't do the digging, nobody will.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Don't worry JSmith1234567, you're not alone.

There's quite a few users that can not run 9.12 correctly and find that 9.02 works excellent on the same system with the same configuration.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

If you can't run 9.12, then your Mac is screwed up.

Frankly, the amount of mistaken abuse that gets heaped on MOTU on this forum ("my computer got all screwed up with freebies and third party I/O drivers and dumb hacks for making ancient plug-ins run, and now DP doesn't work right and IT'S THEIR FAULT") gets severely tiresome.

Nobody ever comes back and says, "oh, I figured it out and it was operator error but it's ok now," but the "EVERYTHING ABOUT DP X.XX SUX" threads live forever.
Jim Bordner

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think the reality is somewhere in the middle, but I agree that probably the majority of the time it's not as bad as what many posters make it out to be. Rather, I shouldn't say "not as bad" but the issue often isn't all DP and you're right... people often don't come back and post when they've found a solution or found that they had affixed blame where it didn't necessarily belong.

I think common sense would tell most people that that the problem they have isn't widespread or this forum would be awash in angry, frustrated posts. But it's not. So this posters problem may be real to him, but it is an outlier and not representative of the experience of most users. I agree that a call to tech support is probably a good idea. If the poster would rather go back to an older version that's his prerogative, but if there is a unique issue it is helpful if it's reported and hopefully it can be determined what the cause is. Let's say there IS some bug that MOTU is not aware of. It may be unique to this user's system and one of MOTU's current beta testers may simply not have come across this problem, thus future versions will not be any better as MOTU is not aware of the issue, much less how to replicate it which is the first step toward fixing it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

JSmith1234567 wrote:I've done all of that, reinstalling, trashing prefs., and it still sucks.

I hope they figure this s___ out.
Call MOTU tech support... They can figure it out quicker if you call them and communicate. I use 9.12 everyday with Sierra with zero problems. Last month I had a huge problem that lasted for weeks. I thought it was dp... then I thought it was BFD3. Turns out is was one bad data piece from a Roland eDrum set that crashed one sound on BFD3 which then crashed DP... so intermittent. MOTU tech support was so great. They took me through finding it logically piece by piece including crash reports. Sending them DP project file. etc. Finally they narrowed it down to NOT being DP... but they gave me a solution to keep it from happening. MOTU tech support is amazing. This Motunation is not MOTU's tech support site. But GREAT things come from here. Hopefully JS you'll find it and report back. 9.12 is a great version with killer features. When on Sierra it's the best.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... you're making me want to be brave and try Sierra. I heard rumor that the issues with DP 9.12 occasionally losing contact with audio hardware was a CoreAudio issue in El Cap that was fixed in Sierra. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waxman

Post by waxman »

It's only scary for a minute...
waxman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:It's only scary for a minute...
Long as I do an image backup of my boot disk first, I'll feel better. That's when I wish everything I had was iLok... so much easier rather than reauthorizing plugs that use hard drive reauthorization. I recently switched my Waves plugs to using a USB stick for the "Waves Key" hoping to save a bit more time should I have to restore a volume. I guess I'll try tomorrow and see what breaks! LOL

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I just ran my first session today under macOS 10.12 and DP 9.12, having moved from 8.5 and DP 8.07 yesterday.

Although everything worked out OK, I noticed some artifacts while working with VIs that I have never before encountered, and an attempt at an MP3 import was unsuccessful. Another issue I noticed was the response of my Magic Mouse; it seemed erratic and overly responsive to scrolling when altering parameters in the Event Editor and other areas of DP. I have a Magic Mouse 2 which I will try; we'll see if it behaves better.

I certainly enjoyed the much improved VI response. Testing continues.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote: it seemed erratic and overly responsive to scrolling when altering parameters in the Event Editor and other areas of DP.
I definitely noticed this. The "wiggle to enlarge cursor" function is also WAY much more sensitive.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote: Another issue I noticed was the response of my Magic Mouse; it seemed erratic and overly responsive to scrolling when altering parameters in the Event Editor and other areas of DP. I have a Magic Mouse 2 which I will try; we'll see if it behaves better.
I've noticed this too. In general, Sierra seems a little less accurate than Yosemite at keeping track of where the mouse pointer is.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8