Back to 9.02

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waxman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Back to 9.02

Post by waxman »

HCMarkus wrote:I just ran my first session today under macOS 10.12 and DP 9.12, having moved from 8.5 and DP 8.07 yesterday.

Although everything worked out OK, I noticed some artifacts while working with VIs that I have never before encountered, and an attempt at an MP3 import was unsuccessful. Another issue I noticed was the response of my Magic Mouse; it seemed erratic and overly responsive to scrolling when altering parameters in the Event Editor and other areas of DP. I have a Magic Mouse 2 which I will try; we'll see if it behaves better.

I certainly enjoyed the much improved VI response. Testing continues.
Artifacts? Yeah noticed a little magic mouse stuff on pitch. Seems like that should be an easy fix. Do you guys think it is a DP or Sierra issue. If anyone here's from MOTU tech on this please post.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote: Seems like that should be an easy fix. Do you guys think it is a DP or Sierra issue. If anyone here's from MOTU tech on this please post.
I'm seeing this in Sierra with apps that require precise positioning of pointers. TurboCad for example. OS X often either doesn't know or doesn't show the correct position of the mouse pointer.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I was able to bring scrolling under control using the Accessibility System Preference. Under Mouse Options, I set Scrolling to its slowest setting, leaving Inertia on.

Pointer inaccuracy is another matter; we'll see if Apple addresses it.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:I was able to bring scrolling under control using the Accessibility System Preference. Under Mouse Options, I set Scrolling to its slowest setting, leaving Inertia on.

Pointer inaccuracy is another matter; we'll see if Apple addresses it.
Thanks for the Accessibility thing. I'll see if that helps.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

Robert Randolph wrote:Don't worry JSmith1234567, you're not alone.

There's quite a few users that can not run 9.12 correctly and find that 9.02 works excellent on the same system with the same configuration.
I am at 9.02 and when I mix, I have to go all the way back to 8.07 because in all versions of 9, automation starts failing when there is a a lot of it.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

From EVERYthing I've read about 9.12, and
including my own experience, I think the
main gripes seem to center on VI and plugin
compatability.

Yes there are plugins and VI's that dont work
well with 9.12. For me it was Melodyne 4
Editor. With its GUI open, the wiper would
continue to scroll up to eight bars after playback
had stopped. It would constantly misinterpret
melodic audio as percussive. Re-analyzing
would cause it to crash DP. Audio to MIDI export
did not work at all.

A new version of Melodyne 4 editor just came out,
it may address the problems mentioned. I had to
go back to 9.02 but Waxman's reports on 9.12
and Sierra have me feeling brave again.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

David Polich wrote:From EVERYthing I've read about 9.12, and
including my own experience, I think the
main gripes seem to center on VI and plugin
compatability.

Yes there are plugins and VI's that dont work
well with 9.12. For me it was Melodyne 4
Editor. With its GUI open, the wiper would
continue to scroll up to eight bars after playback
had stopped. It would constantly misinterpret
melodic audio as percussive. Re-analyzing
would cause it to crash DP. Audio to MIDI export
did not work at all.

A new version of Melodyne 4 editor just came out,
it may address the problems mentioned. I had to
go back to 9.02 but Waxman's reports on 9.12
and Sierra have me feeling brave again.
But doesn't it make you a bit “nervous” that Dp "working correctly" will be dependent on 3rd party plugs changing their coding? I do hope it all works out. As for now, I am parked and anticipate a long roadside nap.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Just as an FYI, Melodyne's update was definitely non-trivial, and fixed its working correctly in Samplitude Pro X3 (which bundles Melodyne 4 Essentials). The ARA fixes were big ones.

The old version of Melodyne 4 messed up my Bundles in DP taking it down (using "Delete Unused" in the Instruments tab returned things to working again.)

I am not a big Melodyne user, but as Cakewalk Sonar Platinum and then Samplitude both included it with their installations, there it was to mess with DP! I would not be surprised if this update did not cure all those problems I had encountered in DP, though.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

Gravity Jim wrote:If you can't run 9.12, then your Mac is screwed up.

Frankly, the amount of mistaken abuse that gets heaped on MOTU on this forum ("my computer got all screwed up with freebies and third party I/O drivers and dumb hacks for making ancient plug-ins run, and now DP doesn't work right and IT'S THEIR FAULT") gets severely tiresome.

Nobody ever comes back and says, "oh, I figured it out and it was operator error but it's ok now," but the "EVERYTHING ABOUT DP X.XX SUX" threads live forever.
Come on man, this is just a ridiculous statement. DP 9.12 has HUGE issues with track buffering, dropouts while editing, all sorts of errors when bouncing to disk, and it has nothing to do someone's mac being screwed up. The changes to the Pre-Gen system and now the inability to universally disable it are bad enough that a LOT of us have to stay back at 9.02 where these issues didn't exist. I'm not losing anymore time chasing down bugs and glitches I didn't create because my Mac is "screwed up". This smacks of fan boy talk and not someone who is willing to actually deal with issues in a factual manner. We're all better than that.
amplidood

Post by amplidood »

I'm now having and issue where the trackpad can easily make moves in DP's pitch editing, but mouse clicks are treated as though they just didn't happen. Weird. Scratch that... what's happening with the mouse is it's selecting the pitch line when clicking and not the pitch box. Hmmmm. Wonder what that's about.

UPDATE: Duh. It's Smart Selections. I never have that on, but somehow it was. Carry on.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

amplidood wrote:I'm now having and issue where the trackpad can easily make moves in DP's pitch editing, but mouse clicks are treated as though they just didn't happen. Weird. Scratch that... what's happening with the mouse is it's selecting the pitch line when clicking and not the pitch box. Hmmmm. Wonder what that's about.

UPDATE: It's Smart Selections. I never have that on, but somehow it was. Carry on.
Thanks for sharing Mr. Dood... I'm gonna' take a look at my settings, 'cause I was having a hard time with pitch edits, too!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

In 9.12, out of nowhere, every other day, the Motu audio engine goes bye-bye. Have to visit hardware setup and 'wake it up'. Weird.

I love the lower latency, but in my book there are certainly a bunch of issues that need addressed to make it back up to earlier versions stability wise.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

amplidood wrote:

Frankly, the amount of mistaken abuse that gets heaped on MOTU on this forum ("my computer got all screwed up with freebies and third party I/O drivers and dumb hacks for making ancient plug-ins run, and now DP doesn't work right and IT'S THEIR FAULT") gets severely tiresome.

Nobody ever comes back and says, "oh, I figured it out and it was operator error but it's ok now," but the "EVERYTHING ABOUT DP X.XX SUX" threads live forever.
Come on man, this is just a ridiculous statement. DP 9.12 has HUGE issues with track buffering, dropouts while editing, all sorts of errors when bouncing to disk, and it has nothing to do someone's mac being screwed up. The changes to the Pre-Gen system and now the inability to universally disable it are bad enough that a LOT of us have to stay back at 9.02 where these issues didn't exist. I'm not losing anymore time chasing down bugs and glitches I didn't create because my Mac is "screwed up". This smacks of fan boy talk and not someone who is willing to actually deal with issues in a factual manner. We're all better than that.
I SECOND THAT!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

JSmith1234567 wrote:
amplidood wrote:

I SECOND THAT!
It would be nice to have actual statistics as to how many people here have stayed back due to 9.12 and its issues. According to Jim, we all have effed up systems and MOTU is fine. I dont see it that way at all. I have seen these issues, (without statistical data of course), but I have seen many with issues. I would remind Jim that each user stresses their system differently and that it is very possible Jim uses his system in a way that doesn’t hit the rough spots in 9.12. I have read past posts by Jim and know for sure he doesn’t tax his system anywhere near to the degree I do, nor does he use DP the way I do.
If it works for Jim, great. But to make a blanket statement that DP is fine and we are all screwed up, would at least technically necessitate Jim using his system in every way we, as users with problem, do. He does not use his system like all other users do and therefore His argument is technically invalid.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Because of this incredible forum and members, I chose to stay with my current DP 9.01 as I have active projects and can't risk the potential downtime or troubleshooting. 9.02 is probably safe, but "If it ain't broke...".

But, looking forward to the 9.12 enhancements when it's maybe 9.13 or 9.14, or whatever and when I see glowing reviews.

I do have around 20 different plugin or VI manufacturers that I use in my normal workflow and I know it's a 3 way street...OSX, DP and 3rd party compatibility. Make that 4 way...my 4,1 Quad Core.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)