Is DP sysex handling broken?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
paddyryan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is DP sysex handling broken?

Post by paddyryan »

I used to always dump sysex from my outboard gear into my DP projects so I could recall synths settings even if the patches had been changed. I haven't done it in a while...like several DP versions ago. I tried it the other day and it was a nightmare. Recording sysex from my Virus TI crashed DP. Recording sysex from my DSI Pro2 show data activity in the MIDI monitor, but nothing was recorded. I quit DP and used Sysex Librarian (with same MIDI interfaces etc) and it worked perfectly. Something is drastically wrong with the way DP is handling incoming sysex! Should be so simple...record the data!

(DP 9.12, OS 10.10.something, MTP-AV, 2 x 2048Mk3)
Mac Pro 8 Core/OSX 10.10/DP8.06/28 gigs RAM/2 x2408MkIII/MTP-AV/Yamaha 02R96/UAD2/Waves Mercury/Komplete/PLAY/Wavearts/ etc etc
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Is DP sysex handling broken?

Post by terrybritton »

I am both surprised and dismayed to hear this. I hope it is only a buffer or transfer speed issue (that is, one that actually might be rectifiable...)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

This got me worried as I haven't done it in a while. I just tried dumping all of my SY99 voices and multis into DP, and it recorded the dump and transferred it back just fine. I was recording at 120 BPM, and I left a little blank space before the dump. I know, irreproducible results are not immediately helpful. I'm wondering if SysEx or patch change is disabled in your input filter?
Last edited by cuttime on Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

BTW, playback of SysEx crashing DP was acknowledged by MOTU and was supposed to have been fixed by the 9.12 update.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

This just in: I just closed the project that I recorded SysEx in and DP crashed on quit! I think this is something MOTU needs to address. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

It records fine for me. Crash on quit is annoying but far from a deal breaker.

The original poster here was attempting with multi record on, MOTU recommend it being turned off, and his digital mixing board is sending SysEx when nothing is being touched so...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

cuttime wrote:This just in: I just closed the project that I recorded SysEx in and DP crashed on quit! I think this is something MOTU needs to address. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
That has been happening to me lately as well - upon closing and then quitting from the startup page, or just quitting, a "DP has stopped working" crash.

I just tried clearing the Sysex filter checkbox in System/Input Filters, and it stopped! (That is, it closes cleanly now.) I re-checked the box and the crash upon closing hasn't returned, but nor have I tried to record anything yet... could be coincidence, but I haven't changed anything else except to add a plugin today.

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:BTW, playback of SysEx crashing DP was acknowledged by MOTU and was supposed to have been fixed by the 9.12 update.
I had an issue with this, and reported it back in 9.01 days and for me it was fixed in 9.12.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

I'd just like some clarifications for this thread:
Michael Canavan wrote:The original poster here was attempting with multi record on, MOTU recommend it being turned off, and his digital mixing board is sending SysEx when nothing is being touched so...
So...you think the Yamaha 02R96 is constantly sending SysEx to DP's MIDI IN and that's messing up a SysEx send from his keyboards?

How long has MOTU been recommending Multirecord should be off when recording a SysEx dump? I missed this. :? But it would explain some weird problems I've had that I thought were operator error.
Michael Canavan wrote:I just tried clearing the Sysex filter checkbox in System/Input Filters, and it stopped! (That is, it closes cleanly now.) I re-checked the box and the crash upon closing hasn't returned, but nor have I tried to record anything yet... could be coincidence, but I haven't changed anything else except to add a plugin today.
I'm unclear about how to get around this bug for now? Turn the SysEx filter OFF when recording the dump, then turn it back ON before closing? Or this was a one-time event that reset some path for good?
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

TinenTech wrote:
Michael Canavan wrote:I just tried clearing the Sysex filter checkbox in System/Input Filters, and it stopped! (That is, it closes cleanly now.) I re-checked the box and the crash upon closing hasn't returned, but nor have I tried to record anything yet... could be coincidence, but I haven't changed anything else except to add a plugin today.
I'm unclear about how to get around this bug for now? Turn the SysEx filter OFF when recording the dump, then turn it back ON before closing? Or this was a one-time event that reset some path for good?
I cleared it and it reset some path from the looks of it. But like I said, I have not tried recording sysex again to see if the symptom of crash-on-closing returns.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I do know that some legacy MOTU MIDI interfaces have a bad time with sysex, and some Mac hardware.

When I needed to update the firmware in a couple of Line 6 devices, I ended up having to download and play the sysex on my wife's MBP using a free online sysex librarian.

You might try another software program to capture and play back sysex.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gravity Jim wrote:I do know that some legacy MOTU MIDI interfaces have a bad time with sysex, and some Mac hardware.
Just to add to the knowledge base, I can tell you that if you daisy chain an older serial MTP off of a newer USB MTP/AV, sysex communication with devices connected to the older MTP will be unreliable. Any device I know I'll need to use sysex with is connected to my MTP/AV.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!