Audio Dropouts, clicks and pops In 9.12

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mwand
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio Dropouts, clicks and pops In 9.12

Post by mwand »

I recently tried switching to 9.12 and found that during playback of any session I am experiencing across-the-board significant dropouts, clicks and pops. Session size does not matter, nor does using VEP6 or having a self-contained project. Buffer size does not matter. Types of VIs do not matter, either. I have tried every combination of parameters in the hardware setup window. It appears to be directly linked to pre-gen. When I run in real time in 9.02, everything is fine, even in orchestral templates with 500+ tracks. I use multiple drivers (828x, RME HDSPe MADI FX) and have tried using one or the other in 9.12 and still get the same result. What am I missing? I feel like I'm going to be stuck in 9.02 forever now that pre-gen is a default setting. Forcing real-time by using aux tracks is totally impractical for film work with huge sessions. It's already difficult enough navigating all these tracks!

MacPro trashcan maxed out, 16TB storage (all SSD via TB), OSX 10.5.5, DP 9.02, VEP6 (latest version), 828x, HDSPe MADI fx (192 channels I/O in use).
waxman

Re: Audio Dropouts, clicks and pops In 9.12

Post by waxman »

does this happen on a small 5 to 20 track project. What about a project from scratch?
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
mwand

Post by mwand »

It happens on any size project. I even tried a single track with a basic piano. I have not tried a project from scratch as I work mainly from templates that took weeks or months to build.
waxman

Post by waxman »

try a piano or vocal from scratch...3 to 4 minutes.
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I'm having the same problem.

Just one stereo audio track playing, with tempo and meter changes in the conductor track (it's a rubato audio track), and I get processor click/pop dropouts and overloads that I can hear every time there is a tempo change in the conductor track.

This is with just one stereo audio track playing.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
waxman

Post by waxman »

yeah better check with MOTU on that one. At times I am setting in and out point in a loop or changing on and off of playback functions like loop or stop etc... while in play I get drop outs and small glitches. Sounds like conductor track changes like tempo etc. could be the issue. There are some look ahead things happening with pre-gen. If this is the case DP will need to get that fixed if for the film score market. Please report what MOTU says. Maybe Magic Dave could weigh in on this one.
waxman
mwand

Post by mwand »

Thanks for your thoughts. It's much appreciated. I'm pretty baffled right now. I've been using DP since it was just Performer v1.0 and this is the first time I fear I'm looking at a roadblock I can't surmount. Most of my work is on film or other large-scale projects, so if I can't reliably play back these huge sessions, I'm stuck. :banghead:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Drop back to the previous working version? How full is your target disk? Repair permissions?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mwand

Post by mwand »

I've been back on 9.02 for a while now. Target disk is 81%. Permissions are repaired twice weekly as a matter of maintenance. I'm a troubleshooting nutcase, constantly massaging data, doing drive checks and repairs, benchmark testing, cable swaps and tests, etc. It's just perplexing to me that I can run ginormous sessions in 9.02 with no problem that won't make it even 2 bars in before falling apart when 9.12 is running.
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

waxman wrote:yeah better check with MOTU on that one. At times I am setting in and out point in a loop or changing on and off of playback functions like loop or stop etc... while in play I get drop outs and small glitches. Sounds like conductor track changes like tempo etc. could be the issue. There are some look ahead things happening with pre-gen. If this is the case DP will need to get that fixed if for the film score market. Please report what MOTU says. Maybe Magic Dave could weigh in on this one.
The conductor track does seem to weird things out.

One example is with that stereo track playing and the click playing together, the click sends the processor into overload at every tempo change.

Actually, turning the click off and just playing the stereo track, the stereo track overloads at every tempo change too.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
waxman

Post by waxman »

Thats it. Time for MOTU tech...
waxman
simonleclerc

Post by simonleclerc »

mwand,

Have you found a solution to your audio dropouts? I'm experiencing the same thing since I'm on 9.12.
Even with a small setup. Never happened before...
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This belongs in the Troubleshooting section. Moved.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!