MIDI bounce problems in 9.12

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kinnylandrum
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI bounce problems in 9.12

Post by kinnylandrum »

I have been having a new problem when bouncing VIs in 9.12 and I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

On just a piano track only, played on Kontakt 5.6 for no more than 3 minutes, bouncing to disk will work only to some random spot and then the MIDI stops while the bounce keeps going. Of course this usually leads to a stuck sustain pedal on, as if the MIDI playback had stopped but it got no sustain pedal off, which is what happens when you stop playback.

Where this happens is truly random and can be from a few seconds to a few minutes in, and changes every time. It also happens with other VIs such as Vienna Instruments, Play, etc. And when I downloaded 9.02 and reverted to that, all the problems stopped.

Can anyone shed light on this? I am sending a tech note to MOTU also. Thanks.
DP 10.11 MacPro 16-core 3.2 GHZ, 48 Gb Ram, 10.15.2, numerous VIs, etc.
kinnylandrum

Re: MIDI bounce problems in 9.12

Post by kinnylandrum »

Just an update: MOTU replied quite quickly to my tech link this morning and said if the problem had occurred with multiple projects (it had, but only with two and only in the last two weeks) that I should replace preferences.

In the meantime, I decided to revert back to 9.02, where two bounces worked flawlessly. I also noticed my track name column was not in the usual place, so perhaps that means that simply by reverting to 9.02 I had also updated my preferences.

Anyway, I reported this back to MOTU, with the question about should I go back to 9.12 AND replace preferences. I'm only really willing to do that if it will work FOR SURE.

If anyone has any advice or experience with something like this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kinny Landrum
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

I had a problem with all sessions in 9.02 that resolved by trashing preferences. But my problem happened with ALL sessions, not just 2.

A low-risk way to test if it works is to switch your Mac user account (if you don't have another account, go to System Preferences and make a new one, just make sure it has read/write privileges). Also make sure whatever drive/folder your project is on allows your "new" user to read and write to it (select it in the Finder, File/Get Info, go down to Sharing and Permissions, select the new user and set to Read and Write).

This new alternate user account will make its own, new, preference files. If you don't experience these problems as the new user, then you can go back to your "real" user account and trash (or better, move to the desktop) the preferences. DP will automatically replace them with fresh, empty ones.
Last edited by TinenTech on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
kinnylandrum

Post by kinnylandrum »

Thanks for the reply. In fact this problem has persisted for every new project I launched in 91.12 since it first happened a week or so ago.

My MOTU tech link person suggested I trash preferences by moving them to the desktop. So I did that for 9.12, and, after over a half hour validating 162 plugins, the bounce STILL did not work in 9.12. I went back to 9.02 and the bounce worked fine. I'm staying with 9.02 until someone can find the problem or until MOTU updates beyond 9.12.