Huge file sizes? (Is there a "rebuild project" feature?)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
decon
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Huge file sizes? (Is there a "rebuild project" feature?)

Post by decon »

Hi all. I was working on a project and autosaving suddenly got slowish. I checked and my file size had ballooned from 3MB (where it had been for weeks of revisions) to 350MB. Twenty minutes later, it was 700MB.

The files seem to work okay, but what on earth is happening? I don't have the disk space to withstand this!

Is there an easy "rebuild" command, where DP can create your project anew using the same soundbites, MIDI, and plugins? (That would solve both this problem and another where one or two projects are especially crash-prone for no apparent reason.)
mikehalloran

Re: Huge file sizes? (Is there a "rebuild project" feature?)

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
decon

Post by decon »

Nope. I don't use Spotify. But I *do* chronically bump up against my HD running out of space (which this problem is exacerbating, obviously).

Is there a way to open the project file up and see what all that 700MB of garbage is?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

decon wrote:Nope. I don't use Spotify. But I *do* chronically bump up against my HD running out of space (which this problem is exacerbating, obviously).

Is there a way to open the project file up and see what all that 700MB of garbage is?
Yes, of course. View the files as a list and you'll see how big each component is. You may have to open a few folders to see it.

If you can't find it, make hidden files visible in Terminal and check them. Copy and paste each line, then hit the Return or Enter key.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

killall Finder

To re-hide:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

killall Finder
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I turned autosave off as it was causing huge files - presumably you have checked the autosave folder in the project folder?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
decon

Post by decon »

I am not able to get any more detail than this. The .dpdoc file itself can't be opened as a folder (to the best of my knowledge; I've tried option-clicking and all sorts of stuff), and I'm a little nervous about resource/data-fork surgery on it. As you can see the two versions I've got occupy over a GB between them—and that's *not* including audio files, autosaves, or undos; it's the actual .dpdoc files.

I really wish there were a rebuild script: duplicate the project, but fresh, without the baggage of its history.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

decon wrote: I really wish there were a rebuild script: duplicate the project, but fresh, without the baggage of its history.
You can start a new project, and use the Load command to read in parts of the original project. Try that, and see how big the new project file is after each step.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Also, don't forget the Compact Project command.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

This doesn't directly answer your question, but I have found as I keep re-saving a project it gets bigger and bigger (more gradual than yours though!), so I occasionally swap out the latest autosave which pretty much seems to stay the same size.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
doodles

Post by doodles »

what's in the file? Any VI's? VE Pro?
2*5-core 3.46 Intel xeon (32 gigs RAM), 2*dual 2.5 (16 & 32 gigs RAM), DP 8.07, WAVES 9, Lexicon plugs, SoundToys, all Spectrasonics, NI Komplete 9, Vienna Ensemble (extended), LASS, Evolve, Symphobia, etc, Cinesamples, Arturia, cinestrings, all Project Sam
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

If you're doing a lot of editing on your project, maybe your Undo History is ballooning? You might save your existing project, then:

Select Edit/Undo History
Open the mini-menu, and select Flush Undo Entries Prior to Current Point...
Do a Save As...; the resulting DP project file will be noticeably smaller. And if you need to recover to an earlier point, you can open the previous version.

You could also go to your Undo Pruning preferences and make changes there so the problem doesn't persist...there are good options there.
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Also check your Soundbytes folder for unused
soundbites and delete those. I routinely merge
all non-contiguous audio tracks and tracks
with lots of punches or overdubs and then
delete all unused soundbites before closing the
session for the day.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com