Memory cycle and recording MIDI behaviour

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
slybass3000
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Memory cycle and recording MIDI behaviour

Post by slybass3000 »

I have a problem when I record MIDI tracks with the memory cycle on. It records something that affect the length of my first beat to a short note and it only plays the short data at the first beat, the first time of the cycle. Anybody is having that problem? I don't see anything in the MIDI data.
I'm with El Capitan and the latest version of DP.

Thanks
iMac 27" i7 4.0, 3Te.32 G of Ram, Apollo Silver with TB expansion (coming up).
TinenTech

Re: Memory cycle and recording MIDI behaviour

Post by TinenTech »

When you say you "don't see anything in the MIDI data", is the note value is incorrect in the data? i.e., you played a quarter note when you recorded, but the data says it's a 1/16th note? Or is the data saying it's a quarter note, but it only plays a 1/16th?

Is your Overdub button on? I've sometimes had issues when loop recording at the start.

Is Multi Record mode on (are you recording several different MIDI channels at once?)
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

Thanks for the reply.

The value of the MIDI note is correct meaning it could be a long value but I get a very short note instead when I play back, on the cycle repeat it seems ok. Overdub is On sometimes and multi-record also but not using it. I'll check. Even this morning trying to freeze a Kontakt pad, it did the same thing. I'm going crazy over this :(
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

Are you quantizing?

If not, maybe the first note, instead of starting at (for example) 4|1|000, is at 3|4|470, and when the loop restarts the first time it cuts it off?

What happens if you nudge your loop start point earlier by 5 or 10 ticks?
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
Pro Tools 12
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

I did that too. Nothing helps.

Anyway, I throw the towel, I just loaded Logic. I think I'm done with DP after all those years.
TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

:cry:
BTW, which OS X are you using now?

It is at least possible in my mind that some of the MIDI problems reported have something to do with OS X updates affecting the Audio MIDI Setup utility. My evidence for this is that Pro Tools users are reporting MIDI timing errors they didn't used to have.

Logic, being under Apple's umbrella, might be more aware of what's going on "under the hood" than external developers :shake: . I'm not sure that Apple is spending as much time and money on OS development, as it's a declining market in their eyes.

Or, perhaps the heavy hitters there are all working in secret on a bulletproof, mission-critical OS11 operating system that will be immune to all hackers and never crash. Perhaps Steve Jobs faked his death and has been hiding in a mountaintop retreat browbeating a group of engineers until they get it up to his standards. :deadhorse:
Pro Tools 12
slybass3000

Post by slybass3000 »

TinenTech wrote::cry:
BTW, which OS X are you using now?

It is at least possible in my mind that some of the MIDI problems reported have something to do with OS X updates affecting the Audio MIDI Setup utility. My evidence for this is that Pro Tools users are reporting MIDI timing errors they didn't used to have.

Logic, being under Apple's umbrella, might be more aware of what's going on "under the hood" than external developers :shake: . I'm not sure that Apple is spending as much time and money on OS development, as it's a declining market in their eyes.

Or, perhaps the heavy hitters there are all working in secret on a bulletproof, mission-critical OS11 operating system that will be immune to all hackers and never crash. Perhaps Steve Jobs faked his death and has been hiding in a mountaintop retreat browbeating a group of engineers until they get it up to his standards. :deadhorse:
Thanks for your reply. I didn't update my profil in a while indeed ;-) ElCapitan on a imac 2009.

I will give DP a last chance. I just order a brand new iMac with 32 G of Ram, i7 processor and a 3To Fusion drive. It better rock.... ;-).

Sly