DP 9.2 error (-48)???

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jacey714
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 9.2 error (-48)???

Post by jacey714 »

Yesterday the DP 9.12 on my Macbook Pro stopped working...and started having error -48 pop up every time I try to boot the program...

This is the exact message that pops up...

"Digital Performer has encountered an error.

Script error:

Error: Error occurred during command
GetRecentDocumentList: OS error:

A file or folder with that name already exists (-48)"

I have no clue what this means...When this message pops up, the program crashes~ If I'm lucky enough to open DP, I'm not able to save at all~ The minute I try to save, the same message pops up and usually crashes~

I'm currently running DP 9.12 on Macbook Pro 15" Retina 2.6 Ghz Intel i7, OS 10.9.5 Maverick

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated~

Thanks in advance~

J
Last edited by jacey714 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.2 error (-48)???

Post by mikehalloran »

The current version of DP is 9.12. Is that what you have?

What OS? When did you update last?

What else have you installed recently? Did you make any changes to your configuration or move folders?

Have you filed a Tech Link with MOTU Support?

This is an OS error telling you that something is wrong but gives no clue as to what.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jacey714

Post by jacey714 »

mikehalloran wrote:The current version of DP is 9.12. Is that what you have?

What OS? When did you update last?

What else have you installed recently? Did you make any changes to your configuration or move folders?

Have you filed a Tech Link with MOTU Support?

This is an OS error telling you that something is wrong but gives no clue as to what.
Currently on Maverick OS 10.9.5~

I didn't install anything recently...except a VPN app~ Didn't make changes to the config or move folders~ It was working fine for the past 3 years...and all of a sudden I started getting this error...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Your VPN installation can easily be the cause. More than once I've had installations of other apps corrupt DP requiring a reinstall and doing so fixed me up again. Sometimes, uninstalling a demo will cause it, too.

First step is to reinstall DP into the default location, repair permissions in Disk Utility, reboot and see if you still have a problem. There's no uninstaller—just reinstall.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jacey714

Post by jacey714 »

mikehalloran wrote:Your VPN installation can easily be the cause. More than once I've had installations of other apps corrupt DP requiring a reinstall and doing so fixed me up again. Sometimes, uninstalling a demo will cause it, too.

First step is to reinstall DP into the default location, repair permissions in Disk Utility, reboot and see if you still have a problem. There's no uninstaller—just reinstall.
I reinstalled DP and repaired permission on Disk Utility, tried throwing away DP prefs, etc. and the problem still persists~
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I would START by launching DP holding the OPT key and disabling plugins to see if it is a recent plugin file that got damaged and DP can't load that. If you can start up with audio disabled, then I would launch selecting SAFE after holding the OPT key at launch again. If that launches DP, then I'd start creating plugin sets on the fly (launching DP with the OPT key every time) until I load the plug in that makes it fail. Of course, that might not do anything, but at least you'll know it's not a plugin that is causing the problem.

Just a shot in the dark here, but I'd also go under the APPLE menu and select RECENT ITEMS and hit CLEAR THE MENU. The error is reporting "GetRecentDocumentList" so I suspect the error is finding &/or loading recent projects or files. I don't know where DP stores that info but if that file could be cleared (deleted) DP might simply re-build a new one.

I did scan the user and system libraries and didn't find anything in APP SUPPORT or PREFERENCES that would store that (as far as I could tell from the file names at any rate). I know it's a PITA, but you might DELETE all things DP before reinstalling.

Come to think of it, if it is looking for recent files and failing you might test that by logging in to a new guest account (with new plists...). If it's simply loosing track of your files (that is, if my theory is correct) then the guest account should just boot up fine.

Failing that, I would not just reinstall DP, but delete all things DP you can find manually from the machine and then reinstalling.

Of course, a call or Techlink might be in order if you haven't already done so.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS