Basic MIDI help/event list in DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jjwonk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Basic MIDI help/event list in DP

Post by jjwonk »

Using an IMac 10.6.8/DP 6.03
It's been a while since I've recorded and edited MIDI data within DP. (Using 6.03 should be a giveaway)
It was working fine and I was getting myself use to editing MIDI data within the event list again.
Opened a new project and all of a sudden I'm getting massive amounts of MIDI note data in the window.
For example: I'll have 20-30 of the same note strike all with different fractions of duration.
I've had this happen a long time ago, and I can't remember how I fixed it.
Not seeing any other controller data, just too many notes !
It it a DP preference setting I need to change possibly, or a problem within my keyboard ?
Can't understand why all of a sudden I'm getting an overload of MIDI note data in the event list window. Probably should mention that I'm using GarageBand as well for my drum, keyboard, and other sounds.
Any help would be appreciated, I can't seem to find exact help for what I'm experiencing on the forum or anywhere else. Thanks !
2019 IMac , Digital Performer 10.11, MOTU 828 ES Interface
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Basic MIDI help/event list in DP

Post by terrybritton »

Could you have inadvertently set up a MIDI feedback loop?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Another possibility is that you are in overdub mode and every time you record a take you are "Stacking" onto notes that are already there.

I'm trying to think of other possibilities. I would think if you had a MIDI feedback loop you would have heard it and probably felt like your computer was about to break.

When you say you are using GarageBand for your sounds, you must be routing MIDI over to that program? Seems like there could be some weirdness with the way you are routing that stuff.

We'll probably need you to describe your process for playing a MIDI track in DP and getting Garageband to receive those notes.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
jjwonk

Post by jjwonk »

I'm thinking I may have a MIDI feedback issue somewhere as well, but no eerie feedback sounds are heard which you typically hear when there's a loop going on though. Plays back normally too. When I shut down, rebooted, reconnected input and output points, etc., then opened up (any) project and tested the MIDI, I got the same multiple note thing happening in the event list during record.
I'm using an old Alexis QS6 keyboard thru a MIDI interface to trigger my GB sounds. I select GB or the QS6 on the track for whatever sound I prefer for that particular track.
I'm going to try and troubleshoot later this afternoon to resolve the issue. I'll start to see if I have a loop going on somewhere first and take it from there. Any other ideas you could share would be greatly appreciated as I ease back into "MIDI world". Thanks so much !
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I realize this is very basic, but be sure local mode is turned off on the controller keyboard.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jjwonk

Post by jjwonk »

It turned out to be a problem with the QS6 keyboard settings, General MIDI was turned off by mistake somehow. I'm back to MIDI madness again, until the next crisis.
Thanks again for all your help !
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

jjwonk wrote:It turned out to be a problem with the QS6 keyboard settings, General MIDI was turned off by mistake somehow. I'm back to MIDI madness again, until the next crisis.
Thanks again for all your help !
I have an Alesis QX49. What wayward setting was it set to that I need to avoid??? :!:

Glad you are working again!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
jjwonk

Post by jjwonk »

I'm not much of a keyboard player,I just use it to trigger drums and other instruments when I don't have access to use all of my musician friends for recording. I got the trusty old manual out, and I had to select and page through some banks, til I got to the general MIDI window which was turned off. My 2 year old grandson must have been pushing buttons like a mad man while I had my back turned yesterday. :)