DP 9.12--multiple audio files are causing playback dropouts

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
greg328
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.12--multiple audio files are causing playback dropouts

Post by greg328 »

The playback meter is pegging red and and I'm getting silence as the counter continues.

The session in question is rather large, but all rendered audio with no live VIs causing a processing drain. Track count: 11 stereo audio tracks, 30 mono vocal tracks, submixing those down to 2 BGV auxes. Everything feeding a common bus pair with master fader. 24/44.1 WAV.

Buffer at 1024 of course! :-)

I've recently upgraded my Mac to 5.1, 3.33 GHZ 12-processor with 48GB RAM. (Need to update my profile!) It's a strong machine.

So, it appears the playback buffer is filling rapidly and causing playback dropouts. I see no provision to alter the playback buffer on DP 9.12. Did it go away with the recent version update?

Possible cause (but hasn't happened before): all of these files reside on my main drive, where the app is. It's a large drive, and large sessions in the past have not bogged down like this.

Anybody have any idea what's going on? Help would be appreciated, in the middle of a large client remix project.

Greg
Austin TX
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
greg328

Re: DP 9.12--multiple audio files are causing playback dropo

Post by greg328 »

UPDATE: Upon further experimentation, I've found that this issue seems to be related specifically to this session, not others that are of similar track load. I think it may be down to a particular track that has a funny edge edit and a bunch of volume automation in a short space. I need to spend more time with it but gotta shut down for now.

I played back some other sessions and the playback buffer operates as normal, filling to about 1/3 then cycling back to empty. Sometimes DP presents some strange mysteries.. I'll update when possible.

Greg
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

greg328 wrote:UPDATE: Upon further experimentation, I've found that this issue seems to be related specifically to this session, not others that are of similar track load. I think it may be down to a particular track that has a funny edge edit and a bunch of volume automation in a short space. I need to spend more time with it but gotta shut down for now.

I played back some other sessions and the playback buffer operates as normal, filling to about 1/3 then cycling back to empty. Sometimes DP presents some strange mysteries.. I'll update when possible.

Greg
In my testing, fades and automation have caused it.

MOTU is aware of the issue and has been able to replicate it.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

A ha! Let's hope for a fix soon.
Thanks,
Greg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk